Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: the horror of training calves to elec fencing  (Read 1492 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
the horror of training calves to elec fencing
« on: April 30, 2016, 11:58:32 am »
As the title says!!  Poor babies!!  My calves have to learn elec fencing as I move my cows around the farm to eat all the unused bits of ground and areas that are in conservation and can be grazed during certain months.  Got them surrounded by sheep net and a line of tape on the top to train them!!  Lots of testing it out with their tongues which produces and very loud moo and a gallop across the field.  Had to walk away as I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: the horror of training calves to elec fencing
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:09:59 pm »
awww, poor things. I don't expect it will take them long to learn though
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 12:12:48 pm »
awwww never mind they will learn not to touch it soon enough. :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 07:42:27 pm »
We put an electric tape round fields sometimes.WE stand and take bets as to which of the steers will keep trying it. Charlie (now in the freezer) was a big dope and tried it four or five times in quick succession before seeming to work it out. The rest did it once. Poor Charlie :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS