Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spot Spraying  (Read 7313 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: Spot Spraying
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 10:19:35 pm »
How much is the training and exam?

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 09:17:16 pm »
How much is the training and exam?
It will really depend on who is running the courses.  SRUC were running them at Elmwood College in Fife and PA1 training and test was in the region of £250-300 and PA6 (knapsack) training and exam was in the region of £200-250.  Don't quote me on these prices but it ain't cheap.
Everyone has to do PA1 and once its done and past - that's it.  You then do the PA__ that is then relevant to your needs - PA2 tractor mounted sprayer, PA4S - slug pelleters, PA6 - knapsacks etc etc.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 07:43:21 am »
Hi Midas, I am well thank you. You asked about Grazon. It's brilliant for spot spraying from a knapsack sprayer being very effective against nettles and thistles. Pastor the same. It seems expensive to start with, but it is used in such dilute quantities, it's not bad at all. You have to keep stock off the field for 7 days. The recommendation is that the best time for application is when the weeds are small and growing well - late Spring say, but it actually works whatever size they are.
Marking out your field with string and treating a 2m wide strip at a time will help you not to miss any.
It might take you a couple of days, but if you are thorough, it is well worth it. Enjoy.

Midas

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 08:07:03 pm »
Thanks slimjim, I will probably get a contractor to do it, don't want to get into bother.

Already had a  neighbour report my Father as he lay dying in hospital, had a letter from planning 2 days after he died accusing him of living there, something he could not have done if he wanted too as he was reliant on oxygen for 16 hours a day.  The planning department even went on the land to have nose, didn't even ask me.  They were a bit embarrassed when I explained things, very upsetting for me and my siblings though.

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 09:05:16 pm »
That's terrible Midas, very upsetting for you and your sibs. In my experience the planning people are just woefully cack handed, not actively unhelpful. I had a permitted development notice in with the planners a few years ago and the planning officer turned up completely unannounced one day to discuss it with me, view the proposed site, access etc. I wasn't there of course. Anyway, we discussed it amicably later and it was all fine in the end. In local government, they just appear to have zero access to training on organisational skills, communication skills, problem solving, negotiation, etc. etc. Sad, but if you understand that, it takes the sting out of some of their crass behaviour.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS