Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding finished for the winter.  (Read 4110 times)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Breeding finished for the winter.
« on: December 03, 2015, 03:04:59 pm »
Thats the last of my youngsters gone.

Back down to 2 bucks and 4 does for the winter again.

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
Re: Breeding finished for the winter.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 04:28:13 pm »
When will you be getting more?   Was thinking of keeping some for our own consumption.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:05:41 pm »
We have a few left that I just need to find time to process, and had a litter born this week.

But that's it till the weather warms up again...

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 12:20:00 pm »
When will you be getting more?   Was thinking of keeping some for our own consumption.

Yeah i'll start breeding again in the spring

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 10:01:15 am »
When do you think it's the best time to start breeding rabbits again? I was trying g to mate them last week but the females didn't want to mate.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 10:39:23 pm »
A couple of day with temps at 10 oC or 50 oF appears to be an easy time to try .

It's not unusual for does & bucks that have been " laid off " for a couple of months to have a sluggish restart. 
One way of kick starting it to put all of them on a lower food value regime for a couple of weeks , then feed a lot of high quality food for 10 days or so.  Done so it mimics natures sudden spring availability of new quality plants which triggers them to start breeding.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 09:35:09 am »
Ok thanks.
Those are young does that have never been bred before. They are about 7 months old now.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 12:54:07 am »
Look back innth rabbit threads .. I used to commercially breed them so did a lot of info on here..
I had a mild stroke a while back and it's buggered a fair bit of my memory other wise I have given you the age of 21weeks female and 18 for a buck to get started etc etc. etc. & whether to take the buck to the doe or the other way round .. one way frequently results in a nasty fight and no mating.

Always supervise the matings as well , some does get nasty if the buck tries for a second go .

You can also tell by the redder plum colour of the females vulva if she is more likely to find mating acceptable . If there is no mating try the doe again in 3 days .

Best time for the mating up session is about 19.00 to 23 .00 hrs as thats when they mate the wild .

I think it is also something to do with the buck testicles being cooler in the evening , so producing a better " shot "

Are the does  in separate  cages ,. if not they need to be ASAP.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 08:40:32 am »
The does are in separate cages. They were taken to the buck. BUT I did it first thing in the morning. I'll try in the evening.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS