Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orphan lambs out grazing now,how much creep?  (Read 2208 times)

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
Orphan lambs out grazing now,how much creep?
« on: April 09, 2016, 12:08:25 pm »
Hi Guys, my orphan lambs are 8 weeks old and off milk. They now are roaming in a paddock and grazing, should i not feed too much creep for the first few days to avoid them bloating?
Many thanks,
Keelan

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Orphan lambs out grazing now,how much creep?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:54:09 pm »
I didn't feed mine creep for 24 hours then gradually increased again. Make sure there's hay available too

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 02:10:06 pm »
I introduce them to grass slowly, and feed creep at a different time.  For instance, first few days, give creep as usual, then a couple of hours later, out out on poor grass for a short time - an hour the first day, 2 the second, 3 the third.  Then onto better grass, or for longer, but keeping that hour for them to digest their creep before the get to grass.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Keelan H

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 11:39:34 am »
Brilliant thanks a lot, all are happily out grazing with sweet hay  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS