Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland sheep  (Read 1412 times)

Jane & Richard Suffolk

• Joined Mar 2016
Shetland sheep
« on: March 29, 2016, 04:41:35 pm »
Hi
Is there anybody on here with Shetland sheep? I'm in Suffolk but I would like to hear from anyone as I'm look for Shetland ram?

Davea321

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: Shetland sheep
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 06:42:43 pm »
I currently have 13 Shetland ram lambs from last year. Most will go for meat in the summer however I do have three that are out of Faygate Rambo (accredited and show winning ram) that are much too good to be eaten and I am planning on selling for breeding/showing. Normally sell late summer/autumn when the demand is

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:48:43 pm »
My boy Chad will be moving on this year.  He's pure bred, from registered parents, but not registered himself.  (His breeder was dispersing her flock and I didn't need him to be registered.)  He's a musket katmoget, and has the gene that allows the expression of colour from the mother's side.

I had only planned on using him once, but I liked his lambs so much I kept him on for a second year.  I've run him on a mixed flock - some Shetlands, some other primitives, and quite a few crossbreds.  His lambs have been shapely, and I've had lots of lovely colours to enjoy.

I'm up in Cumbria, though.  :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 09:15:02 pm »
I've got a registered fawn katmoget who needs to move this year.
A friend who borrowed has just emailed me to say her first lambs by him have just been born.
I used him on a castlemilk moorit last year as he was out of one of my ewes.
photo of him last year, his horns are much more impressive now!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS