Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 day old lamb not yet pooing  (Read 2802 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
2 day old lamb not yet pooing
« on: March 27, 2016, 08:38:08 pm »
Hi,
I have yet to see this lamb do anything with her bottom yet. I spoke to the vet as she is straining so it seemed that she was struggling to pass her miconium. After a soapy anema a good nugget came out but the straining continued and no sign of the brown stuff. I am now trying liquid paraffin from the vet, 5ml twice a day. She has now had 4 lots, but how long should it take? Am I just being impatient?

She is still straining, seems perfectly happy springing around everywhere but her bottom is as clean as a whistle.

Any insights very welcome.
Thanks fishy

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: 2 day old lamb not yet pooing
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:04:24 pm »
Is she blown up? If yes, then she may well have a blockage further inside her intestines, but if she is happy and bouncing about she may well be "quite clean" and/or have a very attentive mama... is s/he drinking from the dam?

I had a goatkid this year that had to be pts, because of this, she passed meconium ok, was keen to drink from the bottle but distended stomach by 24hours and very unhappy girl...

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:26:09 pm »
Hi Anke, not blown up at all. She drinks from mum - not huge amounts - but is in the squatting position for quite a long time. She was a single lamb and took quite a while to get it together. Just wondered if anyone else has any experience with liquid parrafin...

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 10:50:52 pm »
My little premature lamb only pooed once in the first 3 days. No such luck now!  Little stinker has promptly been moved out of the house!
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:00:04 pm »
Day 4 and we have a poo! :excited:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 08:55:26 pm »
Hurrah!   :yippee:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS