Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A few questions about rearing.  (Read 1631 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
A few questions about rearing.
« on: March 31, 2016, 02:45:42 pm »
So we want to rear some pigs for the first time. We are looking at getting some GOS weaners.

Few questions,

We have milk from the cows to feed. How much should they have?

We have rolled barley,  so can make a piggy porridge. Would they need anything else to balance the diet? How much barley would they need?

Or would we be better feeding nuts? Seems a Shame when we have barley and milk on tap.

Are they going to get to fat?

What age do they roughly go to slaughter?  I know it's on the weight and condition but I don't know.

What do they kill out at weight wise?

Roughly how much does it cost to kill and butcher?

Sorry for all the questions :)

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: A few questions about rearing.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 03:34:48 pm »
So we want to rear some pigs for the first time. We are looking at getting some GOS weaners.

Few questions,

We have milk from the cows to feed. How much should they have?

We have rolled barley,  so can make a piggy porridge. Would they need anything else to balance the diet? How much barley would they need?

Or would we be better feeding nuts? Seems a Shame when we have barley and milk on tap.

Are they going to get to fat?

What age do they roughly go to slaughter?  I know it's on the weight and condition but I don't know.

What do they kill out at weight wise?

Roughly how much does it cost to kill and butcher?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Give your porkers milk by all means, but pigs (especially young ones) are actually suited more to goat/sheep milk so don't overdo it :)

Barley is also fine, in moderation - but look at the other threads discussing this and back fat.

Pigs need a high protein diet and it needs to be balanced. You need to give pig nuts to ensure they're getting everything they need. If it's your first pigs, I'd definitely use nuts- but a tinker with feed until you get what you want won't harm :)

Kill out whenever you want, baconers are 80-100kg LW, porkers 60-80kg LW (approx.) - depends what you want meat wise from the pig. Watch you abattoir doesn't have additional charges for pigs over 100kg.

Our abattoir charges £12 for kill, lots of variation for butchering, again dependant on place and what meat you want. Ask a few butchers.

Lastly, Defra state you shouldn't 'mix' your own feed for pigs without prior permission... what porridge?  ;) :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS