Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finishing meat birds  (Read 2455 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Finishing meat birds
« on: April 29, 2010, 05:39:39 pm »
we started our meat birds on chick crumbs and they all did well.  when the bag was finished, we moved onto poultry grower and i thought that would be them till the deed needs done.  however i was speaking with the local cattleman yesterday and he said that we have to use something called "finisher" and that it's really hard to come by.

anyone able to confirm or dispute?  i have no idea as this is our first go at meat birds and i dont know if he's just winding me up or not!

thanks
laura

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Finishing meat birds
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:15:01 pm »
We use Allen and Pag Grower / finisher from about 7 weeks to the end. They seem to do fine.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:25:10 pm »
Horses for courses, some say grower then finisher some say all grower will do, tried both cant say we saw any difference.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:37:47 pm »
thanks for that folks - so it was just him trying to be clever!  i think i'll just stick with grower then or see if i csan get that mix .

sarah1703

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:55:48 pm »
ours have wheat, corn & grass, the meat birds & layers ,they all do as well [probobly better] on it than our birds in England did on layers, growers, finisher ect,

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 11:22:21 am »
I ran out of growesr last time and fed layers; the birds were poorer although that might be coincidence. I won't do it again though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS