Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is this broody?  (Read 2599 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Is this broody?
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:39:21 pm »
Hi

One of my ex-bats is behaving strangely today - she is the scraggiest who has always looked most ragged, has gone through a severe moult over the last 2 months and is now starting to look much better - although still rougher than the other 2. She has wing feathers finally etc.

To my knowledge she has never laid an egg, although none of them have for the last 8 weeks or so during their moult. However whereas the others now run over and fight me at the door for food etc, she is still shyer and hides at the back, doesnt go diving on the veg etc when its on the floor, generally is more timid of the others. But I have never seen them peck her - or each other.

Anyway, today she spent lunchtime onwards standing in the middle nesting box, then afternoon standing in the left box and now I have just checked this evening and she is lying down in the right box. There are no eggs in there, unless she laid one herself.

About 6 I did open the nest box to get a look at her and she pegged it off out the house into the run with no problem, so movement is ok. So, is this broodiness or something else? 

Phew - long post  :P

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Is this broody?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:19:47 pm »
One of mine is sitting on a marble egg... ::) I hope she gets bored eventually!  :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 11:31:39 pm »
Anyway, today she spent lunchtime onwards standing in the middle nesting box, then afternoon standing in the left box and now I have just checked this evening and she is lying down in the right box.
And you stood and watched her all this time? ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
She might be broody but unless you have a cockerel she won't get any babies. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:00:20 am »
I have a silkie/araucana cross who is often broody and is just now.  She appears to feed each day and then disappears to her hidden nest.  I have no cockeral so there will be no babies.  She makes a very particular clucking sound all the time and is quite indignant if I go near.  She roosted in the hen house till her hidden clutch was complete and then decided to go and brood on the nest.  Hope she gets fed up soon!  Other possible broody signs are feathers being pulled from the breast - quite different from the moult - and I notice her comb changes too.  It is more vivid in colour when she is laying.  Hope this helps maybe identify if your girl is feeling motherly or not.

bevsmith

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 09:05:48 am »
As she hasn,t laid any eggs would doubt she is broody,plus ex batts rarely do go broody,are u sure she isn,t egg bound or is she being bullied by the others hence why she is hiding away,they can be vicious hens,and although u may have not seen her being pecked,it could be the case when u are not around, :chook:

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:31:56 am »
Well I have had a look today and she is standing in the nest box again. If she was being picked on, would it have only just started after 3 months together? I was out in the garden all day yesterday and didnt hear any squawking etc from them.  ???

Ill keep an eye on her and see if anything changes today.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 05:46:40 pm »
She is still stood in the same nest box - having a doze - and when I opened the lid she didnt move or run off at all.   :-\

Looks like I may need to call my neighbour to come and have a look

Litl_Deb

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 07:52:39 pm »
Hi Egbert
Does she fluff her feathers out when you go near her?  The clucking sound is a very good clue I am told.  If one really is broody, nothing much will make mine leave the nest.  I have to wrestle them out of the boxes if I want to see what they are sitting on.  They can be very determined, it might be the first signs as the behaviour grows over several days or even weeks with my lot.  I never noticed feather plucking with mine.  Some of my hens are quite independent, choosing not to run with the flock, maybe as the gang have settled in and got over their moult, their true personalities are coming out and she is a bit of a loner  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS