Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wormed my sheep- is there anything wrong  (Read 2074 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Wormed my sheep- is there anything wrong
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:31:12 pm »
I wormed my few sheep the other day as a response to a previous post. One of them had lost condition very rapidly and had me worried. One of you good souls suggested workming thme- so i did.
Next morning the one I was worried about was down- thought she was dead but when i went down the field she managed to get us- just about and wander off. Her back end was filthy and where she lay was also covered in really watery poo.
I gave them loads of hay and they have access to the drinker- Ive been keeping an extra close watch on her. Her condition doesn't seem to be improving any but i suppose it will take time. I have moved them onto new pasture where the recent weather has promoted a little growth.
Am i doing the right thing- is the runny poo a usual result of worming, should i round her up and wash off her back end?
Any advice would be appreciated
Declan

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Wormed my sheep- is there anything wrong
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:36:28 am »
I think you should speak to your vet. And clean her up to keep the flies away - they will only addto her troubles.

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 07:39:02 am »
If you can get a poo sample into the vets. Sounds a bit like cocci. Are you able to take a temperature? should be between 39-40. If its up then I am sure the lamb would need a course of antibiotics, and then treat all with vercoxan. If the scours are really bad I would put the lamb on electrolytes.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 03:43:52 pm »
Poo colour is another thing to consider when talking to the vet - dark brown colour could be cocci, bright green could be too good grass...  take her temperature and keep the hay up.

As said above I would take a sample to vet and definately crotch her back end to avoid flies

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS