Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The Vet's been ..................!!  (Read 2674 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
The Vet's been ..................!!
« on: March 02, 2016, 07:29:35 pm »
So what ?
only the second visit in 6 1/2 years so worth a mention, plus two questions arsing from the emergency.
Day before yesterday one of our ewes suddenly was sporting a head, approx. 3 times its normal size, with eyes barely slits, a huge dangling undercarriage , hunched up miserable and not for moving. vet administered a dollop of Alamycin and some Metacam and after a night in the shed she was already looking heaps better by yesterday morning and no sign of a prob by this evening, we have administered a further ab injection tonight on vets advice and need to do another metacam tomorrow which he left a dose in syringe for us.
Q1- where do you inject the metacam. not done that before and wasn't paying attention when he did it
Q2 any thoughts on cause- best we can come up with (and vet) is that she ate something she shouldn't have- though god knows what. her fluke, heptavac etc all up to date and vet ruled that out after exam
glad she's heaps better as she's one of our originals and a particular favourite. wishing we'd taken photos as she did look gruesome but at the time we thought she was dying and didn't remember to

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: The Vet's been ..................!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:03:04 pm »
Sounds terrible! Pleased to hear she's on the mend. Sorry I can't help with injection sites or cause but hope she makes a full recovery  :fc:

ramon

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 08:14:33 pm »
Adder bite? Bit early in the year but it has been excetionally mild.
Hope she recovers.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:29:33 pm »
Metacam, under the skin, we do it over rib cage/ neck area

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 10:54:39 pm »
Sounds like a huge reaction to something !!?? Metacam subcutaneous injection, (under the skin). Glad she's getting better and well done you for the infrequency of needing the vet, good job they don't rely on your business for pay day. :relief: :wave:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 10:36:53 am »
Sorry to hear that, hope all is well now and the rest of the gang are ok. 
It sounds just like me when I had anaphylactic shock :o . OH took a photo and used it as a screensaver >:( .

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 04:54:11 pm »
A bite I'd say, adders would be sluggish this time of year.  Good luck x

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 05:29:29 pm »
cheers all. another 24 hours on and she's apparently right as rain and back at the front of the queue for feed. thanks for the metacam guidance, she's had it.
Hadn't thought of a bite, but sounds like a good possibility. unlikely to be an adder as never seen one here. gave her a good exam tonight thinking maybe rat ? as couldn't think of anything else but no obvious sign anywhere. hi Jean btw  :wave: sure our vet has made a fair bit out of us with two ancient hounds who regularly visit him but only two visits in 6 1/2 years feel's like a bit of a saving

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 09:32:46 am »
I just can't get over your two visits in six years.....  I budget for two a year - and I struggle with that!!!!
You must have magical sheepy fingers....

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS