Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tattoo kits  (Read 2580 times)

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
Ear tattoo kits
« on: February 25, 2016, 09:43:08 am »
Is it just me or are there no decent ear tattoo kits around for doing pigs ears  (i.e. not slap marking) ???

I have two pedigree Tamworths that are getting close to farrowing but I can't find anything for sale that has decent size numbers.

The tattoo pliers sold by Fearings are only for 7mm digits/letters which I can imagine means they're pretty fiddly to read. If I have no other choices then perhaps that's what I'll have to get or else I'll have to find someone to borrow a set from maybe.

Can anyone else can suggest a potential supplier?

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
Re: Ear tattoo kits
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 09:59:30 am »
Don't worry the numbers get bigger as their ears grow  :thumbsup:

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 10:36:26 am »
Thanks, I thought it might be something like that. It's a good job I asked though because she farrowed last night - a few days ahead of schedule! Mother and all 5 piglets survived the night and are doing well  :thumbsup:

I assume that if I'm numerically tagging and I don't have many then I can get the 7 space pliers and start with just a couple of sets of numbers (0-9) and fill the remaining spaces with blanks?

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:13:53 am »
Don't forget to order you HDL letters.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 11:19:51 am »
Bugger, is that really required? Is that a new requirement then? They 2 "mothers" only have numerical tattoos at the moment which the original breeder applied...

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 11:55:06 am »
A tattoo should consist of the HDL then the numbers. If your sows only have the numbers they aren't identified properly for pedigree purposes.

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 01:38:11 pm »
Yes you need the letters and fearing do the blanks as well.

Don't be tempted to go 001, 002 etc just do 1, 2, 3. Less hassle plus 0's can deform or not take properly and end up looking like 3/ 5/ 6/ 8.

Not a problem if you've only got 5 but a pain if there are 50 of the buggers, we've had to ask the butcher before now as the tattoo becomes easier to read once they have been scaled at the abattoir.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 03:33:25 pm »
We only slap when they head to abbatoir?

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 08:04:06 am »
We only slap when they head to abbatoir?

This thread is not about slaughter ID the ear tattoo is for pedigree breeders and must be done before weaning it will have the breeders HDL and the pigs number this information is then used to birth notify the litter. The shoulder slap mark is for slaughter and will have your herd mark on which will be different.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS