Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tell an American about the UK health system  (Read 10514 times)

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
Re: Tell an American about the UK health system
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 09:34:55 pm »
I've read with interest all the comments on the NHS.  I admit to a bias - I've been employed by NHSScotland all my working life (37 years so far), as has my wife, my parents (who got "nationalised in 1948 when their hospital was absorbed into the NHS) & two of my daughters.

The NHS in the UK costs about 60% of the amount spent in France & Germany, and up to a point you get what you pay for, but I think that it is good value for money.  What nobody has mentioned is that the NHS in England is a different entity from the NHS in Scotland - they were formed on the same day in 1948 (although Scotland had a previous system that was incorporated), but due to the different legal systems between the two countries, they are different NHS's.  As an example, Scotland has no Trusts - they were disbanded several years ago when a direct Health Board system was established.  Scotland also spends slightly more per head of population on health than England, and has slightly more doctors relative to the population as a result.

It will never be a perfect system, since it will never meet the hopes & expectations of everyone, but in general I genuinely think it is one of the best in the world, especially in an emergency situation.

Just my opinions,

John

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Tell an American about the UK health system
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 07:59:04 am »
I'm with you John.Little story before NHS in the Newark area where I was dragged up rate wi me Dad.He did is best e' allust sed.Mother paid 2/6 a week to a Newark Hospital Health Club.This entitled Mother Father Me and young Billy to Free health care by free we did not have to pay if we went to the doctors.It was free in that respect We had paid by the half crowns every week.NHS was better for us we didn't have to pay us 2/6 each week.Like stopping smoking Mother could not show you the £6:10 shillings she had not spent on this care club.Just like Anne cannot show you the £540:80p she didn't spend on cigs; last year because she stopped smoking.David claimed she is a secret smoker like that secret lemonade drinker advert of yesteryear  ??? ;D :wave: :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS