Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tupping shetland gimmers with...???  (Read 5714 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: Tupping shetland gimmers with...???
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 04:42:02 pm »
Unless you have anyone else locally with a Shetland tup who you would be happy to take the 4 to, for tupping?

Will investigate this. Could easily have some visiting wives to Ken in exchange!

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 04:44:20 pm »

I'm with Anke - I'd really rather a Shetland or similar size tup for a first-timer.  But if not possible, then I'd go with the tup that'll give the lowest birth weight of the options you have available.  I'd worry about her tummy muscles carrying the lambs more than I'd worry about the actual lambing itself - Shetlands are pretty generously sized in the birth canal.

Given the size of Cheviot store lambs, that might even mean the Cheviot would be a contender?  (I've never lambed Cheviots, so don't know what size lambs they have at birth.)

Both the  Kerry Hill and Cheviot lambs are pretty wee at birth - much less size difference between their lambs and a shetlands than you would think from the relative size of the adults. The Kerry lambs probably look bigger, but it is all legs, and they are extremely narrow. So that is probably the best bet if we do have to go for the other breed of tup option.

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 08:21:45 am »
I don't have any practical sheep advice but I know that the emotional needs of a three year old boy should not be underestimated! My boy always responds best to new suggestions by me saying 'I've got a great idea...!' Works every time. Good luck!
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS