Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: making haggis  (Read 2776 times)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
making haggis
« on: January 01, 2016, 07:26:11 pm »
HI all

Our local pub (in Lincolnshire) wants to make haggis for Burns Night. Do any of our Scottish smallholders have a recipe, please, or know where to buy skins?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: making haggis
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 03:05:08 pm »
Look on food processing, What Can I Make With.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 12:03:34 pm »
I made it quite successfully a few months ago.  I will look at my notes when I get home from work next week but basically it is;
A sheep pluck (heart, lungs and liver - it comes from the slaughter house all joined together).  Boil it for half an hour or so to cook it through.  Cut out the most gruesome bits (windpipe) and mince it.
Mix with finely chopped fried onions, oatmeal and season well. (I will have to check but there might have been a little suet).  It is worth experimenting to get the seasoning right as it makes a big difference.

Skins can be bought online from various sausagemaking suppliers (called ox bung).  I didn't have any so just sealed it in vacuum bags which are fine for reheating it but are not quite so presentable.

If you can't get lungs you could make it without but the lungs actually make quite a contribution to the taste.
When I take lambs to my local abbatoir they ask if I want the whole pluck back.  Not sure where to get it otherwise.

I will look for the recipie I used next week.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 09:28:09 am »
That's great thanks for your help. It seems now that I am helping out as well. Don't know how that happened ???

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:34:23 am »
That's great thanks for your help. It seems now that I am helping out as well. Don't know how that happened ???

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 02:01:14 pm »
The recipe I used was as follows (although see the comments at the end);

3 x lambs pluck boiled until cooked (half an hour or so)(came to 2.9kg in total but these were from very small lambs).
520g coarse oatmeal (note that that is oatmeal not porridge oats)
400g suet
5 tsp salt
1 tsp corriander
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp mace
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

cut the tubes away from the pluck and discard.
mince the pluck
mix everything together
put in skins, vacuum bags or in a bowl with tinfoil on top that you can steam.
keep in fridge or freeze until needed.
reheat before serving by boiling/microwaving/steaming until it is properly hot through.

Next time I would tweak the seasoning a bit, probably an extra tsp of salt and definitely a bit more pepper and/or cayenne pepper - I think it should have a little bit of a kick to it but not too much.  Given enough time you could probably play about with the spices quite a bit but the above is a good starting point.

I ran out of oatmeal and so substituted a bit of pearl barley - if you are going to do this cook it separately before mixing it in (I didn't think of this and have the odd hard bit).

Not sure if you are familiar with oats but just in case......porridge oats are rolled oats and are what most people make porridge with but people of my grandfathers generation wouldn't touch them (unless it was to feed horses).  Oatmeal is ground (like in an old-fashioned water mill) and so has the appearance of crumbs of oats.

Ignore my previous comment about onion - I mis-remembered that!

Give it a go, I was surprised at how well it turned out - much better than the black pudding that I made which mostly ended up in the bin.

Tim

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS