Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Storm Imogen versus Barn  (Read 2569 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Storm Imogen versus Barn
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:52:00 pm »
In June 2015 we built a machinery and hay barn at the top of the field.
It survived all the storms up until the 80mph westerlies last night  :rant:
Half the roof ended up in the middle of our neighbour's field - clashed with the HV power lines on the way through  :innocent:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Storm Imogen versus Barn
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 04:58:46 pm »
Bum :(
Has been very very windy here over the past 24 hours.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 05:11:42 pm »
Sympathies.  The roof blew off the existing lambing shed the February after we moved here, then continued to slice the roofs off the (fortuntely empty) pig sties as it shifted eastwards overnight.  We've learned the hard way that everything has to be either twice as sturdy as you'd expect or have plenty of space to let the wind go through it.  The previous owner never used a two inch screw where a six inch coach bolt would do and we now know why.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 05:53:53 pm »
Sympathies - I still haven't retrieved my field shelter from next door after the one a few weeks ago.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 06:18:53 pm »
Worse than Barney, this Imogen can bloody do one!!

Tiles off the roof, guttering off, pallets seen flying across yard, and a freshly open big bale has moved a couple of feet........generally a pain in the proverbial.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 06:19:06 pm »
 my sympathies, we lost our workshop roof last January and the damage to buildings and soul hasn't stopped since.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 06:57:19 pm »
Just fitted new roof to barn last week after barney - now house roof has a 4 foot hole in it!!

Doh!!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 07:20:34 pm »
Last night a flat tin roof flew off shed by house, we tied it and I held on one end, Baz got digger to add some weight, dismantled with the help of our Pete who works here.  Disaster averted it would have taken out a landy, a beamer rally car and my little red roller skate.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 07:50:08 pm »
The power of nature eh?!!
We spent a few hours retrieving the sections of roof from or neighbour's field yesterday morning - it's all piled up on the trailer at the moment.
Today we took advantage of a lull in the wind to get a makeshift cover over the hay stack - using the polytunnel cover that got ripped apart a few weeks ago :innocent:
We are supposed to be having an assessor come and have a look at the situation in the next few days

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS