Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why is the trip to the abattoir getting harder ??  (Read 3001 times)

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
Why is the trip to the abattoir getting harder ??
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:12:50 pm »
 Why is it getting harder to take my pigs to the abattoir ? The first time it was easy, just took them, left them there and it was fine, no tears no regrets.
 The second time was not too bad either, but we are off again tomorrow with three more and I am dreading it. Have been very silly and gotten myself really attached to one of my GOS boars.. He is off tomorrow to be made into pork and even thinking about it makes me teary (even writing this)
 Am not sure how to not get attached, I thought I would of got upset the first time not the third time.

Debbie

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Why is the trip to the abattoir getting harder ??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:46:25 pm »
hey debbie, we've got that to come with the pigs and the lambs.....i hope that by telling myself what a nice life they've had, it will make it a bit easier.....time will tell though!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:57:38 pm »

Debbie I could not take my third lot to the abbatoir I had to get my son to do it, now i am waiting on another lot coming but hope that this time it will be okay, if not son will have to do it again.
I have 7 of last years lambs to go next month and they have become really tame over the winter so I am dreading them going, but I would rather feel sad to see them go than not care at all. I am not sure that that sounds right but what I mean is if you don't get a bit attached to them then why bother doing it, it's not as if we are ever going to be rich so it has to be for the pleasure.
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:06:38 am »
I can't remember how many we have taken to the abattoir and it never gets any easier.  That's why we are smallholders - because we care.

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:35:17 am »
 :pig:just counted up and so far we have taken 31 pigs to the slaughter house it is never easy but i would not want it any other way it just shows we care, we always unload our on our own as they know us, and for some strange reason i never sleep well the night before.

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:07:42 am »
Hiya,

Our 7 dont go until the end of June and i sort of feel bad already coz they are getting so friendly and part of the character of the land now. I was speaking with my friend (this is a joint project on his land) and he said he doesnt feel bad because he gets so much satisfaction looking at them in prime condition, having had a great outdoor life and reared in a traditional way not a pen. So i dont feel as bad as i did because i can now see the sort of logic.

Same as Daisys mum, this is all part of letting them have a great life and you have to be quite mentally tough not to get attached and see them just as meat.

may post a totally contradictory comment once they go to slaughter though  :pig: :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 11:00:25 am »
Yesterday i took a call from a distressed pig keeper saying they couldn't bear to send their pigs to the abattoir, they were having sleepless nights about it and now in the cold light of day they weren't sure they could send their little darlings off.
Now we all know what loveable creatures GOS are and its hard not to get attached. I myself have cried buckets of tears when particular favorites have come to go off to meet their maker(I find it really difficult to send gilts for bacon for instance). So how do you reconcile your love of your pigs with sending them off to slaughter?
For me i know that my porkers have had the best possible life i can give them, its why i keep pigs the way i do, the best of everything and lots of affection & attention. Secondly you can't keep every pig, the world would be overrun and costwise its not feasible, i know that my porkers pay to keep the stock and future porkers in the style they've become accustomed to. Thirdly if nobody ate rare breed pork thats exactly what they'd beocme:- RARER. The motto 'eat them to keep them' never rang truer.
How do the rest of you cope? Some answers here might help the keeper who called me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards
Mandy Garbutt
Fowgill Farm

bamford6

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 11:45:53 am »
i did turkis 1 christmas when it came to december to dress theres was no way they were being culd so i bought 1 from asda and naw sell the eggs to hatch .

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 11:48:34 am »
 Well ours have gone now... well 2 of them. The third bugger would not get in the trailer no matter how much food we waved in front of his nose. Then just went and laid down in front of his ark and just looked at us !!!! as if to say " come on what is your next idea ?"
So he is on reprive till next week. Think we will have to feed him in the trailer for a few days before to entice him in.

Then when we got to the abattoir, the 2 were quite comfy and relaxed after their journey they didn't want to wake up to get out.  i think we are obviously treating them too well, they are far to laid back ( maybe they take after us)..
 am feeling very down after leaving them there , but have been telling myself that if I didn't take them I wouldn't be able to have more pigs, and that I can't, as you said Mandy, keep them all. The money for food would soon run out.
 Also we have to keep eating rare breed pork, we need to educate others not to buy the mass produced pork you find in supermarkets, and the only way to do this is to keep, lovingly raise and then slaughter our pigs, so more people can experience what real pork tastes like.

Right am off to give fat boy a good telling off for not getting in the trailer, and probably a cuddle and a scratch or two.

thanks for all the advice

Debbie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS