Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shed Insulation  (Read 2844 times)

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Shed Insulation
« on: January 30, 2016, 04:29:20 pm »
So we have 2 sheds - 1 for all the garden & tools stuff/duck feed and bedding/bird food and the other one is my office/man cave.
Its just over 2 yrs old, has been treated and painted twice once we got it.  During the Christmas break I fitted corrugated sheeting on the roof (on top of the felt) as some water was getting in under the felt as a result of the winds and amounts of rain.

However, I am thinking of trying to insulate the shed (wall and roof panels) but I am aware that I have to watch out for condensation/wood breathing etc. I am aware that I could go to the usual search engine and see what the hits there say but I thought that I'd check for any personal experiences too.
Has anyone ever insulated a shed? 
If so what with?
Any advice would be gratefully received.
 How did you get on?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Shed Insulation
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 04:37:58 pm »
If it was me, I'd line the inside of the walls with sheep's wool, then cover it over with sheets of OSB. I'd put ventilation grilles at the top and bottom of the OSB to allow some airflow and prevent damp. That would be cheap and cheerful, whilst also providing homes for countless wood mice  ;) .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 05:54:50 pm »
Yup wool not rockwool but wool. Best natural insulator there is cheap and getting back to popularity again.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 06:09:46 pm »
Yup. I reckon you could get hold of it for about £1 a fleece. That's my final offer though - I refuse to pay you any more than that to take it off my hands!  :P
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 09:05:25 am »
You are right to consider condensation risk. The normal method (e.g. in a house) would be to have an inside lining, insulation, vented cavity, and outer wall. The first cold surface encountered is the outer wall, and the ventilated cavity deals with the condensation.
Alternatively you go for 'full fill' insulation where you leave no voids or cavities anywhere. That makes the outside wall the first cold surface, and condensation there simply doesn't matter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS