Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tags, and someone's error.  (Read 2593 times)

Timothy5

• Joined Oct 2015
Tags, and someone's error.
« on: January 08, 2016, 11:04:43 am »
I have a notification from MAF, my Holding Registration Document. It shows Herd/Flock type, both for my sheep and pigs. It shows Herd/Flock Mark for both. It shows Herd/Flock CPHH for both.
I have a notification from RPA, Confirmation of Registration, It shows my SBI number, and my vendor number. It lists my CPH number the same one that the MAF letter gives.
You might think everything is fine, except that I ordered some slaughter tags for pigs, and some plastic tags in readiness for the lambs I hope will be born soon.
I was issued the slaughter tags, but the supplier says the sheep number is not listed so they could not supply.
Back to MAF - They now quote entirely different numbers for the sheep and the pigs.
Maybe I can now get tags for my sheep, but I can't use the pig tags, because the slaughter house won't accept those numbers.
Nobody notified me that they had decided to change the numbers, so who pays for the now useless pig tags ?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Tags, and someone's error.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 11:56:48 am »
My flock and herd numbers are quite different. Who told you they would be the same?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 12:15:03 pm »
I'm not sure I understand .... you should have been given:  one CPH number, one Flock number (for the sheep), and one Herd number (for the pigs) ?

If so, and then they changed one of those numbers, then they are to blame for giving you incorrect info.  Although tbh they should have had no reason to change them unless it was an administrative error.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 12:49:29 pm »
I've had two flock numbers for my sheep on different letters and two herd numbers for pigs on the same letters. I called the local office who was very helpful and sorted it so the first ones that I had been using for a while and had tags for were the correct ones and got rid of the spare numbers in the system.
I'd advise giving them a ring and explaining and they should be able to sort it for you.

Timothy5

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 01:47:58 pm »
Devonlady & Foobar, I have one letter, the numbers were given by MAFF. They dictate what numbers you have.

I telephoned them last week, and was assured that the numbers were correct.

Then my supplier of tags told me the numbers were not listed. However they did issue pig slaughter tags on those numbers.

I contacted MAFF again today, and was quoted an entirely different set of numbers. I have requested confirmation in writing.

If the second set of numbers are correct, why was the pig tags issued on the old numbers ?, and who pays for these now useless tags. The error was not mine, so why should I be out of pocket ?.

FSMNutter, although I live in Norfolk, the stupid MAFF automated telephone system put me through to Cardiff.

I am posting this as a warning to all other folk, check that the information you have is correct, because someone clearly has not got their act together, and you could end up out of pocket. Not only do I now have incorrect tags inserted into my livestock, I have to pay to have them removed, and correct ones put in, no doubt causing stress to the animals.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 03:16:06 pm »
MAFF? Ministry for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food? No longer exist.

What did you ask for on your pig tags? It should be a herd number. Mine for eg WG3542. What herd number have you got on the system for moving your pigs? If that corresponds to the number in the ear tags I don't see the problem.

Timothy5

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 06:36:50 pm »
O.K., seems I'm not getting through. I asked for tags numbered as per the notification, naturally.

I know they no longer call themselves MAFF, but they are effectively the same. Telephone number 03000200301.

I did finally manage to talk to someone sensible. It seems they changed the numbers, but forgot to inform me. As I have already purchased the pig tags and fitted them, I can keep that herd mark. A new flock number has been issued for my sheep, but I will not order the tags until I have written confirmation, just in case.

Why do folk insist upon making things more complicated than they need be ? First, they don't listen to what you actually say, they would rather jump to false conclusions.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 06:47:37 pm »
O.K., seems I'm not getting through. I asked for tags numbered as per the notification, naturally.

I know they no longer call themselves MAFF, but they are effectively the same. Telephone number 03000200301.

I did finally manage to talk to someone sensible. It seems they changed the numbers, but forgot to inform me. As I have already purchased the pig tags and fitted them, I can keep that herd mark. A new flock number has been issued for my sheep, but I will not order the tags until I have written confirmation, just in case.

Why do folk insist upon making things more complicated than they need be ? First, they don't listen to what you actually say, they would rather jump to false conclusions.

All sorted then  :thinking:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS