Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: my pig shakes when eating??  (Read 2088 times)

fiatmillie1969

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Cornwall
my pig shakes when eating??
« on: December 31, 2015, 06:27:27 am »
Anyone had a pig that shakes/trembles only when his head goes down to feed?
I noticed it about a week ago, his temperature is normal he shows no signs of illness(eats poos wees roots playful with other pig). Just shakes when eating, slower than other pig when eating and seams to eat on the side instead of straight on? Any advice welcome, cheers :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: my pig shakes when eating??
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 07:10:26 am »
Teeth problems?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:39:13 am »
Abscess or impacted or broken tooth?  Worth getting the vet to look at him.  Anything that causes stress, particularly at this time of year, predisposes an animal to something like pneumonia and if he's not eating well he'll already be compromised.

fiatmillie1969

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 12:28:15 pm »
Aw thanks for the reply. Will try and take a look when I brush him and maybe feed him some smaller pellets. :)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 07:35:40 pm »
Sounds very 'sore tooth'-like. One of ours suddenly started having issues eating - she would go to feed with normal gusto but then stop and look incredibly uncomfortable for a while, then try and eat again. As it was taking her so long to eat the others were snaffling all the food. I separated her off for a few days and pretty much gave her gruel to eat/slurp until she seemed to have recovered. She was fine after a few days, but if it had carried on I would have got the vet to look at her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS