Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Inexpensive Livestock Shelter  (Read 2604 times)

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
Inexpensive Livestock Shelter
« on: December 04, 2015, 07:44:50 am »
Came across this picture showing the construction of an inexpensive livestock shelter. Not sure how it would stand up to the seemingly increasing strong winds but I'm sure the design could be beefed up to suit.
Metal Detectorist

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: Inexpensive Livestock Shelter
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 07:51:07 am »
probably okay for something temporary but either need a really sheltered spot - then why need a shelter?
or posts well into the ground to anchor it and a tarp made by NASA although i can still see the tarp stuck to a barbed wire fence in some distant field just too high and the wind will fill the back of it and its got to get out somehow!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 08:12:18 am »
It would give some shade from the sun.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 08:15:31 am »
What is this sun thing you speak of  :excited:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 11:43:31 am »
Big Light - you're feeling very cynical today  :roflanim: and I do agree with you. It has to be easier and more successful, and not much more expensive, to do it properly and it will still be there after the gales.   You can see from the pic that he's just finished it - it would be good to know how long it lasts.   Looks cool at first glance.
I like that the tarp is cammo.

There is something amazing happening in the sky right now  :sunshine:, but we all know what we're in for over the next 3 days :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining: where's the wind icon? ,  which means we'll all be hanging onto our shelters no matter how robust they are.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:47:38 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 06:03:02 pm »
Already have this without the hog panels and tarp, profile sheeting for a roof, put old hay in the gaps of the pallets.
Doesnt get affected by the wind, have put stabs knocked in at each corner and screwed with coach screws.
 :sheep:  :thumbsup: Pallets ...............multi purpose ......Amazing and free !

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 07:02:37 pm »
Forgive my cynicism just think smallholders struggle to get time to do things once let alone twice - nice to see Kelly58 doing a proper job - create many things here using pallets too, but they are all well anchored / screwed / bindertwined.
Plus im currently charging my drills for whatever i'm going to have to fix on  --- Sunday :0)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 07:31:10 pm »

Oh, I like your cynicism  ;D.  I've learnt over the years to look at everything with a questioning mind.  Something which looks good at first glance may well have flaws somewhere, or in your own situation.

:fc: for no damage in the storms.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS