Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sad Day Advice Needed  (Read 7553 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Sad Day Advice Needed
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 10:25:52 pm »
I think you are supposed to record the deaths of any newborn kids, whether stillborn, or they die after birth .....but really, how many goat keepers, or sheep keepers for that matter do this.  And as to disposing of them, like the recording the death .....who knows these goat kids every existed!!!!!

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 07:38:34 am »
You should of got an orphan lamb or two and fostered them onto her.
It's always a Shame when you wait months for something and it gets snatched away at the last minute.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 09:14:54 pm »
Sort of a nice idea with the orphan lambs - but I sure I read somewhere that;s 'not done' and also 2 of my orphan lambs would no way fit under FeeBee!!! she's a bit of a midget! She's doing ok though - was worried that her udder was getting a bit warm so will now be milking her for the duration just so we don't have any further problems - she didn't like it as first but did calm down - now need a very low pot/pan/bucket so I can feed it to the lambs!! oh the joys - still lots done today and only one fed to go
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 09:45:02 pm »
Re putting lambs onto goats should not be done, as they can damage the nanny's udder. Milking and bottle feeding is fine.

Also i would put the nanny on a low-calorie diet, just hay for a few days. That will reduce her milk production, and once udder is soft, you could go back to your normal maintenance ration.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 07:13:24 am »
Anke - thanks for the info - I'll do that - I knew I read somethere not to put lambs on goats but couldn't remember where as read so much!! I had been giving her a wee bit of 'crunchies' so I'll not do that and follow your advice.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS