Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie and nervous !  (Read 4926 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Newbie and nervous !
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 06:02:16 pm »
Hi and welcome. Contact Defra about the holding number. I suspect you'll need one of your own as you will be the keeper of the holding. The paperwork's not too bad for the number of livestock and livestock movements you're going to have so don't worry about it. For sheep, pigs or cattle, you'll need a herd / flock number from Animal Health.

I'd agree with the pig idea. We keep three weaners on 2 pens 30ft x 40 ft from April to October; one for us, two to go. By the following April, ina normal year, the pens are recovered for the new intake. Keeping animals that aren't going to be there all year ie fattening lambs or pigs, rather than breeding stock will give the land a rest and save you buying winter feed and putting up shelters, thus keeping costs, particularly capital costs, down.

Nelster

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 08:59:41 pm »
Thanks Rosemary.

As always answers lead to more questions ...

So if you keep 3 pigs, one for you, 2 to go - roughly - very roughly, and if you dont mind me asking - how much to you get for the 2 'to go' pigs ?

And an unrelated question; do i need to register with the beloved HMRC as an enterprise, particularly if you are getting an income for the 'to go' pigs above ? Should I register with HMRC anyway even though I'm expecting to use the produce for myself ? Should I infact try to get an income from the holding, I'm not expecting there to be enough produce to sell anything but am I underselling my potential (lol) !

sandy

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 09:24:08 pm »
Hi from Clackmannan.... I love pigs...great with stuffing and apple sauce... :wave:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 09:30:24 pm »
ooh, tough questions already!!
I'll just say "hello and welcome" and let more knowledgeable folk answer....
Little Blue

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 07:56:15 am »
Hello Annie love Pleased you took it as I intended.Little bit I believe.There is nothing better than a well kept dog.Look at your show dogs look at Tim's sheep dog He couldn't manage his flock without Blu.BUT my word Annie there is nothing worse than one that does as it likes out of control is there?It's a wonder someone hasn't been hurt round here dog no lead and mostly no collar runs across the road through the traffic Ugh!!!!! ??? ::) :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 07:58:48 am »
Hey up How's the bit that caused me to call you Grannie Annie? I hope baby is well and growing fine :wave: Love from Kath and George XXX
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 08:24:07 am »

So if you keep 3 pigs, one for you, 2 to go - roughly - very roughly, and if you dont mind me asking - how much to you get for the 2 'to go' pigs ?

I dont know what rules you would need to follow in UK, but I get 7 euros a kilo for meat and around 10 for ham and bacon. 

And an unrelated question; do i need to register with the beloved HMRC as an enterprise, particularly if you are getting an income for the 'to go' pigs above ? Should I register with HMRC anyway even though I'm expecting to use the produce for myself ? Should I infact try to get an income from the holding, I'm not expecting there to be enough produce to sell anything but am I underselling my potential (lol) !

Sorry cant answer this one.  Perhaps give them a ring and ask hyperthetically.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 08:32:16 am »
Right O talk among your sens I've gone to TESCO  :( :o ??? ::) :-[ :-\ :'( :farmer:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 01:27:23 pm »

Hi and welcome from the Scottish Borders I sell my to go pigs at £120 for 1/2 a pig, includes slaughter and butcher, don't make anything off them but what the heck as long as they cover costs and it does mean that most of mine is paid for.
Good luck anyway pigs are quite addictive, if you are thinking of raising lambs for meat go for something native and not too big as they will fare better on a smaller area, some of the bigger breeds need a tremendous amount of good grass to get to a decent weight. :wave: :pig:
Anne

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 09:45:08 pm »
Hi and welcome form another corner of the Scottish Borders too.

Re registering the holding - contact Defra and discuss with them, as you will need your own herd numbers (although bought in lambs for fattening will keep their own number for life, only stock born on your holding will have your number,but you will still need your own herd number which you will have to quote on any of the annual census(ses???) that come round in December).

Unless you plan to make an income from your holding don't register with HMRC, selling a couple of pigs will not need a self assessment income tax return. I gather you (and your wife) have outside jobs anyway (and you plan to keep them?). I wouldn't think you could make enough of an income from an acre to live on nowadays anyway, but it goes a long way towards self suffuciency in basic food stuff (and the quality is priceless!). I also wouldn't register as a business if you only plan to sell some livestock once or twice a year.  Most payments will be in cash or kind anyway....

Good luck and have fun! I get up just after 5am every morning now (milking the goats and just finishing off lambing my 15 ewes - 2 are still keeping their legs crossed) and am VERY VERY tired, but love it really. I will be quite upset in a way when lambing has finished!

PS.: Keeping pigs in a copse - make sure the farmer you are renting the land from doesn't mind if the pigs re-fashion the layout a bit.... They are great landscape designers and earthmoving equipment in one piece! Electric wires/tapes are a must for them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS