Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How can I get a TV signal in the garage?  (Read 2362 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
How can I get a TV signal in the garage?
« on: November 05, 2015, 07:21:07 am »
I'm not sure if I have posted this in the right category but its probably near enough.

I have a craft room in the garage and have a TV there with a firestick. I was getting a signal, although not good, about a month ago but now it won't connect, saying the signal is out of range.

There is a BT black box next to the TV to pick up a wireless signal but to no avail.

The garage is about 20 meters from the house.

Any suggestions that aren't too costly?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: How can I get a TV signal in the garage?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 10:17:08 am »
Do you mean you are trying to get wifi into the garage from your house broadband connection?  Or are you trying to get a digital tv signal from the ether?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 10:41:25 am »
Wifi from the house broadband connection. Am I wasting my time?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 11:04:22 am »
Sounds like you need a wifi repeater.  There are several threads on here somewhere about them.

One tip, if you have a smartphone, install the app called "Wifi Analyzer" (by farproc) and use that to see how strong your wifi signal is as you move around your property.  It can help you work out positioning of equipment much faster :).

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 11:07:00 am »
...when you use that app, flick to the dial screen then select your wifi connection by clicking on the select button underneath.  then you can walk around with the dial and it will show you the signal strength for that wifi connection whereever you go.  Don't move about too fast though.

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 03:25:09 pm »
Not sure what physical connections you need but would powerline adaptors work? You obviously have power in the garage so could plug one in and then connect to that? They normally have ethernet outlets but not sure about other options. They're fairly cheap and I see some have wireless extenders built in now.

e.g. http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=Powerline

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 03:51:30 pm »
Well, mentioning it on this forum galvanised the OH into action. I don't know what he has done but I know have a wireless signal and can use my Firefox stick.
Thanks for advice

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS