NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: RARE & MINORITY POULTRY & LIVESTOCK Sale Dingwall 7 November - Anyone Going?  (Read 4679 times)

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
I've been looking for the livestock catalogue online, but there is very little detail so far! 

There is a poultry catalogue on this link: http://www.dingwallmart.co.uk/wwwroot/PDF/Catalogues/Livestock/d071115poultry.pdf

As for the other breeds, below is all I can find.  Doesn't help to enable any pre-sale research if you can't even see who is selling or what the breeding is!

Cattle 4 (Shetland, AA x, Dexter),

5 horses and ponies, 

Annual Highland Zwartbles sale of 169 sheep (MV section).

16 goats.

600 further sheep comprising:
Herdwick 98,
Cheviot 28,
Hebridean 105,
Jacob 104,
Shetland 83,
Castlemilk Moorit 2,
Soay 18,
Hampshire Down 7,
Dorset 37,
Gotland 15,
Kerryhill 37,
Ryeland 12,
Ryedale 12,
Black Welsh 2, 
Suffolk 2,
Blue Texel 12,
Blackface 2,
Lincoln Longwool 1,
Leicester 3,
Saxon Marion 2,
Balwen 12,
Wiltshire Horn 5,
Border Leicester 1
and the Kylerona, Ardersier dispersal of 272 Shetland & Hebridean sheep.

Poultry 213 lots large fowl,
127 lots ducks,
173 lots bantams,
7 lots pigeons,
4 lots pheasants,
11 lots quail,
12 lots bantams,
9 lots turkeys,
4 lots guinea fowl,
1 lot pea fowl.
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.
Voss Electric Fence

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
I think I saw something is the Scottish Farmer a couple of weeks ago saying 'no horned cattle'.  Not sure if that still stands or not.

Auld Cairnallochy

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Aberdeenshire
The livestock catalogue usually appears only about two days before the sale which doesn't leave much time to decide. The Saxon Marion should read Saxon Merino x Shetland Tups.x 2. Hardy, and very fine wool producers.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
I think I saw something is the Scottish Farmer a couple of weeks ago saying 'no horned cattle'.  Not sure if that still stands or not.

I saw the same on the entry form on the mart website. 

The livestock catalogue usually appears only about two days before the sale which doesn't leave much time to decide. The Saxon Marion should read Saxon Merino x Shetland Tups.x 2. Hardy, and very fine wool producers.

The entries closed on 16 October so it really is pretty poor if they are only sharing the information a couple of days in advance.  It doesn't give much time for researching bloodlines etc which is surely what most people looking to acquire rare breeds as opposed to commercial stock will want to do?

I'm guessing that we now know the source of the Saxon Merino x Shetland Tups though...! ;-)

I've not yet decided if I'm going to go, but thanks for the info on the catalogue; I'll keep checking for it and see if it persuades me to make the trip!
Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible.

Scarlet.Dragon

• Joined May 2015
  • Aberdeenshire

BALLOCH

• Joined Jul 2011
we have 4 x zwartble shearlings,2 pure and 2 part breds lovely strong sheep.just wormed and bucket trained ready for ram.The 2 welsh mountains we had entered are sold to a blackwelsh breeder.Yes they are always very slow at putting the livestock catalogue out.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
@Fleecewife here's some west coast top knots at the Dingwall sale - these are gimmers but i think show the silvering you were talking about

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Wester Gladstone Hebridean Sheep
Could be Big Light, but I can't expand the photo to see properly. Were they registered?
www.scothebs.co.uk

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus - let sleeping dragons lie

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
No sadly not (or i would have had them home) - they were dark underneath with silvering on the ends - although that said alot of the Hebrideans that come from the areas which are harder often have different colours fleeces due to the nutritional availability - although ewe lambs from the same place were nice and brown / black

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • Wester Gladstone Hebridean Sheep
I think we're straying somewhat from the original topic but.....

There will be some effect on colour from nutrition, pasture, soil, wet and so on.  However, I think that the main reason for all the different colours, or shades, in the north has to do with the fact that there seem to be far more unregistered flocks than registered there.  The usefulness of registration to breeders in the north is far less than in the highly populated areas to the south of Scotland and down through England.  There is a genuine mark-up for the modern super black Heb in the south, whereas in the north unregistered Hebs seem to fetch as much money as registered.  Many flocks seem to be raised for meat, so no registration is needed, whereas many flocks further south are going the high end sales way. I feel too that because of harsher conditions for farming in less favoured areas, there is no time or cause to faff around with registration, which ads to cost, for no benefit.  Specific markets for Hebs are hard to find in the north.  The Stirling Sale, formerly and briefly at Oban, is too far south for many to travel down from the far north.

Given this, then Hebs are not selected for black fleece, but for their hardiness, efficiency, great taste, mothering, milkiness and all that, where fleece colour is irrelevant.
These varying shades still pop up in the hyper black registered flocks, but are not registered and are sent for meat, or quietly registered but kept out of sight and bred to a super black tup. 

Or in the case of those of us who are trying to save the Ancient Type of Heb, they are bred openly and celebrated.

I would be interested to know if those of you who keep Hebs but live further north would agree with my view.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:16:45 pm by Fleecewife »
www.scothebs.co.uk

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus - let sleeping dragons lie

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Can't comment on most of it but spoke to a few breeders,
 - although they are not registering their flocks they are all buying in registered tups which i thought was interesting!
- most told me they don't bring in females as they have the qualities they are looking for in their flocks to suit their surrounding, there were a few pens of black gimmers from more remote areas but the overall  body size of the northern sheep was definately smaller on average (which would suit a harder climate). Most were Heptvac covered and there was a mix of 2 and 4 horn. I bought a couple of lots of wethers which i think originated on Uist but other than being slightly smaller than ours at home you probably wouldn't notice.
A lot of them appeared to have local markets for their meat, there were quite a few Heb Crosses of various types in the sale also - so theres obviously plenty out there!

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
@Tighnaneun anything on this from your coal face side of it?

Tighnaneun

• Joined Apr 2015
  • Rogart, NE Scotland
    • Facebook
I'd say what Fleecewife was saying is right, we chose our hebs for flavour, hardiness and mothering rather than fleece. We live on a tough bit of ground and if hebs can cope on Uist then they can certainly cope on our ground! We have found a local market for our meat, but we've kept most of it for ourselves. I'm not sure how those qualities would transfer into a pedigree setting.

Rob was at the sale with six of our heb ewe lambs and two polled ewes. We got decent prices for them, pretty happy.

Rare Breed Poultry - 5th November

Started by Marches Farmer

Replies: 0
Views: 831
Last post November 01, 2016, 12:45:00 pm
by Marches Farmer
Dingwall Rare Breeds sale

Started by allyb

Replies: 13
Views: 4045
Last post November 10, 2013, 11:38:28 am
by NetherBrae
Sale - Rare & Minority - Carlisle 19 Sept

Started by namethatsheep

Replies: 10
Views: 2766
Last post September 28, 2015, 08:19:36 pm
by BALLOCH
Dingwall Rare Breeds sale - Saturday 8th March

Started by fiestyredhead331

Replies: 22
Views: 5355
Last post March 11, 2014, 04:36:26 pm
by mowhaugh
Longtown Mart Poultry Sale 24th November

Started by Big Light

Replies: 2
Views: 1670
Last post November 23, 2012, 09:50:00 pm
by Big Light

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS