Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: LED Lights for the Lambing Shed?  (Read 4653 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
LED Lights for the Lambing Shed?
« on: November 05, 2015, 10:58:31 am »
Our stock of 150W bayonet fitting standard light bulbs is running out. I'd like to replace them with a lower cost option for the times we need the shed lit for several hours.  Is there an option that would give the equivalent level of light (preferably not that bluish light that makes me feel I'm about to be interrogated) and not take five minutes to reach a decent level of illumination?

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: LED Lights for the Lambing Shed?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 11:57:38 am »
150w standard bulb = ~120w halogen, allegedly = approx 1400lumens.

colours:
the ice blue white (6500K colour temp) is the most efficient (for LED and fluorescent) so will give you brightest illumination per watt, but they come in a range from 2700K very warm white (compact fluorescent / standard  incandesent). most LED warm whites I've seen are 3000K ish. there's also a 'natural white' which is in the middle-ish 3500 - 4500K.

LED do come on at full brightness without having to warm up so I'd look for something LED, warm white, and 1400ish lumens - if they say "equivalent to..." without giving a lumens output, I'd avoid them. You may struggle to find a bayonet LED equivalent to a single 150w so you might need to use say 3*450lumens - alternatively look at the floodlight fittings.

standard B22 bayonet 470lumens (warm white):
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-bulbs/b22-led-bulbs/7-watt-b22-high-output-standard-shape-led-bulb.html
or 850lumens (warm white) flood:
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/led-flood-security-lights/new-10-watt-led-floodlight.html

Alternatively you could consider good old-fashioned linear fluorescent which can still be bought with old type switch-start ballasts - although they have a flickery start and do have to warm up, they tend to come on brighter than the electronic-ballast fluorescents.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 03:06:30 pm »
This was the beefyist LED bulb I could find for my stable: http://www.energybulbs.co.uk/philips+13w+non-dimmable+corepro+ledbulb+-+warm+white+(es%2fe27)/4222137579
Thats about equivilent to a 90W bulb.  I don't think you'll find an LED equivalent to a 150W bulb.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 03:08:56 pm »
Many thanks - now I know what I'm looking for.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »
his bulb business is a nightmare .... trying to find LED equivalents for my house spot lights which don't cost more than replacing spotlight.(previous owner loved spot lights there are 4 different sizes here!)...... then the problem of will they last having spent over £6 a bulb .......  and then an attempt to improve lighting so my SAD doesn't just put me to sleep for winter!

We after some toing and frowing to Amazon I now have cool white spots in my kitchen ....... WOW ......... at last a light I can see things in and doesn't send me to bed by 8pm!   Cool white is the way to go for us SADies!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 03:53:07 pm »
I know that you are only wanting to replace the bulb not the lighting system but we put natural daylight striplight in the workshop and I wish I had them everywhere. The light is really energising and makes working in there on winter evenings a joy.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 07:37:01 pm »
I know that you are only wanting to replace the bulb not the lighting system but we put natural daylight striplight in the workshop and I wish I had them everywhere. The light is really energising and makes working in there on winter evenings a joy.

now that is some thing I have been considering for the workshop aswell

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 07:03:26 am »
Ive had the following tab open for a few days looking to replacing our halogens

http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk

Has some good info, hopefully of some use to you

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS