Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: better late than never.....!  (Read 2299 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
better late than never.....!
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:56:04 pm »
ouch, i'm sore today

having been busy doing other things, i've spent the last few days getting to grips with the garden - about a month ago, i hired a mini digger to level a large area of the garden - this meant demolishing the old raised beds

so, the garden was flattened and i've spent the last few days building them all again and laying out the slabs between them - i'm pooped!!!

now the really hard work starts - ive to fill them with compost!!!

I've got 3 raised beds, 4' wide by 50' long - gonna need many tonnes of the stuff!! fun weekend ahead of me!

but, at least once it's done I can get a permanent strawberry patch built! and now it's warming up, i might get some veg planted for this year

going high tech this year!!  I'm burying a leaky hose through the beds - so i can water without spraying, and i'm putting a clear plastic roof over the beds - to help keep rain of my strawbs, but also to heat things up to get my seeds going.

in thewinter, i'll leave the roof on and do more winter veg too

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: better late than never.....!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:48:22 am »
My son bought me two builders dumpy bags - £4 each - to add to the two old ones I already had.  Filled them with straw and poo from ducks mand chickens, left to sink for a couple of weeks, added spoil heap soil from connservatory build, then a few days later after a good lot of rain, added some bags of compost and bingo 4 raised beds.  How successful they will be can be seen at the CSSA barbie in August!  Anybody want to join?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:54:42 am »
I have 2 large plastic tubs to fill, I now am stuck for compost to fill them as the car is off road.....I will fill them with something, maybe salad stuff and herbs..... ???

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:39:47 am »
I don't envy you in the slightest !
I know how I felt after filling just two 8x4 beds with soil  ::) Mind you they are nearly 2 ft high, I am a girl and was probably pregnant at the time  ;) (They're my excuses and I'm sticking to them !) But trying to fill 150 ft worth of raised bed - errrmmmm - that's definately a job for the boys  ;D Good luck and don't knacker yourself doing it !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:03:47 am »
I have 2 large plastic tubs to fill, I now am stuck for compost to fill them as the car is off road.....I will fill them with something, maybe salad stuff and herbs..... ???
Sandy, how often do I have to say this - call me and I'll help!"!!!!!!!!!!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:15:18 pm »
I can tell you one thing Annie love it takes a lot of molehills to do what you lot are doing.I've got to have a couple of rotten bales in the bottom
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 05:30:01 pm »
I've got the soiled straw from my ducks and chickens at the bottom of mine!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS