Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Post and Rail Fencing  (Read 2575 times)

Orchard Barn

• Joined Dec 2014
Post and Rail Fencing
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:13:00 am »
Hi all

I need to relocate about 200 metres of Post and Rail fencing. I'd quite like to do this myself, but I've never done it before so not sure how hard it is.

I'm sure there will be times in the future when I need to do it again, so happy to invest in some kit. I was thinking of getting a motorised Hole Borer and a Nail Gun. I could hire the kit but I want to be able to do it as and when I have spare time rather than in one go.

Has anyone else done this rather than paying chaps to come in and do it? Would you recommend I do it myself?

Thanks.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Post and Rail Fencing
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:50:46 am »
you can get hand chappers for about £60. if you can get someone to put in decent strainers for you, about £40 each, the rest isn't too hard.

spitfire40

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 11:08:54 am »
Hi , I have made a 100ft paddock out of stock fencing myself and it was pretty full on. Having to drive 2-3 inch peeled stakes in and some strainer posts with struts. It was quite gratifying when finished but hard work. I have tried the motorized hole borer but is very hard to control and you cant go as deep and straight as you need to go. But if you have the right tools and alot of strength it can be done. In the field opposite me , someone was putting a post and rail fence in with a tractor and fence post driver attached. 17 hits and the post was in . 17 hits by hand and your 2-3 inches in! 200 meters is alot to take on. But if you have the time....

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 01:45:45 pm »
We've got one of the petrol augers, it's brilliant. £150 with 100, 150 and 200mm bits, i also bought a 60mm bit for piloting for smaller posts.

I reckon pilot the holes and then a hand knocker.

We've got a post driver but it did cost £2500+vat

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 04:00:32 pm »
But if you have the right tools and alot of strength it can be done. In the field opposite me , someone was putting a post and rail fence in with a tractor and fence post driver attached. 17 hits and the post was in . 17 hits by hand and your 2-3 inches in! 200 meters is alot to take on. But if you have the time....
depends a lot on ground conditions. choose a damp day and you can hand-ram a post in 2ft in 20 whacks. excellent exercise, judging by the aches the next day. ha.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 04:11:18 pm »
When you say 'relocate', are you hoping to reuse the wood? If so, you may find it useful to use a reciprocating saw with very thin metal cutting blades- that would let you slice through the nails (between the slats and posts) with minimal damage to the wood. I would still assume a fair degree of wastage though, depending on how long the fence ha been up and what condition it is in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS