Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Carrots  (Read 5278 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Carrots
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:45:36 pm »
Hi

Well the veg beds are showing signs of life - potatoes are coming along nicely, I can see onions and the cabbage are massing where I dropped the seed packet  ::)  a couple of sprouts . . .

BUT my carrots are no shows - do they need a lot of water? The peas are non-existant and leeks and parsnips are just not playing. I am wondering whether these need more water than the others . . .?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Carrots
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:58:57 pm »
Some seeds do take longer to germinate than others, Parsnip take the longest, cabbage are about the quickest. I f you have followed instructions there should be seedlings appearing soon. Dont overwater though as you will wash the seeds too far into the soil so they take too much energy to get to the surface and die before hand and too much water does not allow oxygen around the seed for germination. I usually cheat and all outside veg except those that dont like being moved are started off in the polytunnel. Leeks to me are a lot easier started off inside.Dont give up.

Glaswegian

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:22:57 pm »
hi hermit.
i have also started off leeks in the tunnel.at the moment they are about two and a half to three inches tall.would they be right for planting out,or should i wait till they are a bit bigger ???

cheers.johnie.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:43:16 pm »
Hi I wait till they are at least 6" and thickening up a bit. Do you know how to plant a leek out? It sounds tricky but easy really. You make a hole with an old biro and snip the roots off the leek to an inch long at most. Then drop the leek in the hole and pour water into the hole. Do not firm soil around the leek, they point all directions when finished but straighten themselves out when growing. Some people cut some leaf off the leek tops but I have never done that. Good luck

Glaswegian

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:50:59 pm »
hi hermit.

thanks for the tip.

laurad

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:44:33 pm »
My carrots took ages to come up, they always do, but every year I convince myself that this time they have definitely failed. Parsnips also take their time as was mentioned above, but they do come eventually. Just keep the soil moist,  but not wet, and try not to think about it!

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 09:58:33 am »
My carrotts took ages also last year!!

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:25:05 am »
My carrots and parsnips are not showing yet either. Peas are about 1cm, swedes the same. Onions and garlic fine.... rest is in the greenhouse!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 11:28:50 am »
Hello all.Karenl I take the root back to 3/4" and trim the leaves to give me a 6" plant then I have a bit of 3/4" dowel push it in the soil so only a 1" of green shows out the top of the hole.Then swamp the hole with water.I usually get 100% grow rate only last year I lost about 1/2 a dozen to slugs but they don't like a row of blue pellets each side the leek row and across the ends.I end up with a twin row of blue 6" or so apart and across each end and the leeks down the center  :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 01:04:07 pm »
I've never been able to grow carrots for some weird reason.... what's the secret ?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 02:27:17 pm »
I tried parsnips for the first time last year. I found a tip in an old mag. it said to sow the seed onto compost then lightly cover. I did this and they grow great, we were eating them all winter. :)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 03:27:26 pm »
Do you spray the 3/4"to1" high carrot seedlings with paraffin Karen it'd an old gardeners way here not the greenie way of course Carrot fly do not like paraffin at all and it doesn't taste in the carrot when it's eaten.The new head gardener gardens the Soil Assn: and organic way and lifted and put a Ferguson tipping trailer full of carrots on the bonfire none were useable.
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 05:34:58 pm »
Never had any problems with carrot fly,dont know if we just dont have them up here or my interplanting with onions works! By the way you have put me off having cheese on my burgers!! :o :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS