Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: finishing muscovy ducks  (Read 3087 times)

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
finishing muscovy ducks
« on: October 22, 2015, 04:44:40 pm »
I have 7 drakes prob 16 weeks oldish.  I have dispatched 3 over the weekend, hung them and gutted today.  2 are of poor quality and only 1 is good with the golden fat.  I have never done ducks before and it was all a bit rushed.  They were outside on grass in a large cage fed on organic layers. 

Was the food incorrect - should I get wheat now - surely if one was good then there was something good. Have I missed something? or too late.

Finishing poultry is all new to me. Any tips appreciated.  What do I do with the anorexic ducks in the freezer are they worth roasting or what do you recommend? Thanks

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: finishing muscovy ducks
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 05:27:19 pm »
I have 12 muscovies that are 3 weeks old. I plan on keeping two girls and eating the rest so I thought I would follow your post!

I was going to feed mine maize and mash, and keep them in their run rather than let them free range...

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 06:03:19 pm »
Muscovies fatten very easily and do not require anything like mallards. However, if you have any left put them on wheat and barely for a month., it'll be a lot cheaper than layers. You may have a skinny strain of duck? Pick them up and see before dispatching, they may need  a little longer. By 24 weeks there should be plenty on them if not a few weeks before. 16 weeks may be a bit premature for your strain too.

Be very aware when roasting Muscovy. It has half the fat of mallard so always add a bit of water to the pan, cover with foil(apart from the last half hour)  and baste every half hour.  If yours are a bit on the meagre side, roast them whole as not worth mucking about with. Hope this helps.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 07:50:09 pm »
Thank you! The reason for feeding layers is thats its organic and we cant source organic wheat/maize in small bags.  I have read to finish poultry you need to boost the wheat - we did this on the turkeys however they were not organic.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 09:29:40 pm »
How long do u feed wheat for before cull would it be last 4 weeks or longer?
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 09:32:30 pm »
Also I've got a muscovy in freezer and looking at cooking it Wednesday any good recipes or cooking times!
It's first one I will be cooking?
It weighs 1.6kg frozen
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 03:16:57 pm »
Allen & Page do a good goose/duck finisher, my ducks are on this at the moment and the 2 drakes destined for the table are looking good- not going until December. They get a bit of rolled barley too.

RPF

• Joined Feb 2015
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 06:05:32 pm »
http://www.westingourmet.co.uk/gourmet-club/chinese-roast-barbary-duck/

Here's a recipe for Chinese style Barbary duck. However, I normally just use a pinch of salt as it shouldn't need anything else, the duck speaks for itself. The recipe will give you the cooking method. If yours is 1.6kg then I'd say about 1hr30-45 mins. Please read it carefully as Barbary duck doesn't cook like normal duck.

Mine are on wheat and crushed barley the whole time. You can move then onto wheat the last few weeks if you like as a cheap way of feeding them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS