Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where do people buy......  (Read 6087 times)

EmAbi-Sheep Newbies

• Joined Oct 2015
Where do people buy......
« on: October 18, 2015, 07:05:59 pm »
HI!!
We are new here and purchasing our first sheep on Saturday.

Where abouts do you all buy headcollars for your sheep? We have sourced halters but my friend would like a headcollar.

Also what are your views on using Coppers spot on over winter and clik after shearing?

We are struggling to find a agricultural shop near where we are so any recommendations of online ones would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Where do people buy......
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 08:54:20 am »
http://www.llugwy-farm.co.uk/

Very good service  :)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 08:55:23 am »
Hello, there's wynnstay stores in most areas now for all your sheepy needs.  We use clickzen (clik s shorter acting sister product) on the all the ewes n lambs  May onwards, spray the lambs again after 6 weeks, which seems to come into line with shearing time for us.  The ewes don't get sprayed at shearing we leave they're fleece grow on a bit first, so the product s got fleece to bind too. Then everyone's get s clik for the rest of the season.  A small bottle of crovect kept in the meds cupboard in case we get caught out at the beginning andbetween sprayings. 

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 09:06:56 am »
For everyday headcollars use foal slips as I have only found sheep show headcollars with lead attached.  Rope halters fold up and fit into pockets so are handy to carry around.  I would never leave a headcollar on a sheep.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 09:14:21 am »
Teeny tiny foal ones, obvs for handling only.  I ve halter trained the goats, not tried a sheep yet, may try a dopey Molly lamb lol x

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 09:48:34 am »
Why do you want to use Spot On over Winter? 

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 11:41:29 am »
Online shops:
Mole Valley Farmers
Fane Valley Stores
...and a few others depending on what you are after.

I just use these for most of my sheep:  http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/sheep-rope-halter
And I have a Llugwy Farm headcollar for my horned rams only because they are easier to get on/off over the horns.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 12:16:45 pm »
I don't like the rope halters at all for my Primitive sheep.  Maybe some of the larger breeds will fit them, but on smaller sheep they ride up into one eye and hurt the animal.  I use Llugwy farm too - she does all sorts of sizes in flat woven polyester, various colours, and also posh showing leather ones.  The leads are removable and the service is efficient.
I echo not to leave these things on your sheep for longer than you need to lead them, and never when you're not there.
You don't say whereabouts you are, or the breeds you are buying - it would help to know in answer to your anti-flystrike treatment.  I live in Scotland and use Crovect, applied every six weeks during the fly season, judged by the weather, but usually May to October.  We do only the lambs in May, and don't apply to the ewes until after shearing, as any of these products on the fleece will limit how you can make use of them.  Also ewes tend to be less affected by flies than lambs early in the season.  You need to keep a good watch though and act promptly if your ewes are behaving strangely, which could indicate strike.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 12:27:49 pm »
I use Cooper's Spot-On to keep the tick population off my sheep. Ewes treated in late March when they get their clostridial vaccine boost, lambs at about a week or 10 days before they go onto the hill. All get treated again in August to protect them against the August tick rise.

This seems to work quite well. The only reason I can think of for using it in winter is if you have problems with lice, but I haven't found it very effective for this.

EmAbi-Sheep Newbies

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 12:30:33 pm »
Thank you for all your replies.

It was suggested as they will be living with horses that it would be a good idea to use spot on throughout the winter to help prevent lice and ticks (as there is other horses nearby prone to lice) and then use clik or another shortly after shearing. I wasn't convinced so thought it would be worth an ask! Anyone with any experience?

Our shopping list seems to be getting longer!!

We are getting Ryelands. And are based in Kent.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:49:17 pm by EmAbi-Sheep Newbies »

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 04:25:08 pm »
No point putting anything on to soon after shearing as there is no fleece for it to stick to....

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 04:32:59 pm »
I use spot on for the ponies in the spring as a routine spring mot thing. I find the oldies to be nor susceptible to them x

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 04:46:59 pm »
No point putting anything on to soon after shearing as there is no fleece for it to stick to....

......unless you hand shear with blades  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 04:01:36 pm »
Are your horses used to living with sheep?  The horses can seriously hurt them if you are not careful.

EmAbi-Sheep Newbies

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2015, 07:47:03 pm »
[member=132794]Scarlet.Dragon[/member] that sounds pretty impressive! Maybe that should be my next project!

[member=23122]Herdygirl[/member] yep horses are used to them! Must admit they weren't keen at first but having borrowed various sheep they are quite happy grazing altogether now.  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS