Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mastitis? the long term view  (Read 2429 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
mastitis? the long term view
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:37:11 pm »
Hi peeps, hope the sun is shining on you and your flocks
We have a ewe problem, same one I was positing about with the stiff legs and poorly doing lambs. Well the lumps in her uddr are not getting any better. She is musch less stiff in her legs. Her milk is good and clean but I wonder why she has these lumps in her udder? Am going to take a milk sample to the vets this afternoon as I don't want the call out charges. She is happy in herself and eating well. Could this be previous mastitis problem from when she weaned last year? I checked her last time whilst she was lactating but not after weaning.

Will this affect her milk production and ability to feed lambs as they become more demanding? If so, how do I best deal with this.

Thanks again

birkb

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: mastitis? the long term view
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:07:02 pm »
I had mastitis in a ewe last year which started a number of weeks after birth.  She continued to feed her one lamb but the lamb was old enough not to need too much milk...the ewe went on to lose one side.  Everything healed up nicely but i did not put her back in lamb this year.  I believe therefore that it might affect milk production and her ability to keep her lambs going.

I have a further query on this subject matter:  can a ewe get mastitis before giving birth ?  Does anyone know ?  I have a ewe which is due to give birth shortly and her udder has swelled larger than i expected.  Do i have something else to worry about along with the countless others ?

I would be interested to know the answer to both.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 04:23:53 pm »
been to vet, took a milk sample, said it was certainly not mastitis if there is no blod or cheesy bits. Probably an over active mamery

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 09:59:43 pm »
They can get mastitis before they even lamb, although it isn't that usual. Is her udder hard, or feeling really hot?

Beth

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 09:17:47 am »
just noticed my terrible spelling of mammary

'must try harder'

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS