Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horrible weather  (Read 2433 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Horrible weather
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:45:23 pm »
No matter when Easter is, whether early or late, it always manages to be bad weather, usually snow, here.

Today, its been bitterly cold, and snowing.  Farmers round me are grumbling, as they are about to start lambing, although a few lambs have arrived already.  A lot of the sheep are up on the moorland above our house, and its not a nice place to be in this sort of weather and certainly not when you have lambs arriving.

I started feeding the animals at 6pm tonight, gettting soaked through in a blizzard, the animals are all so hungry with this cold spell.  Could not believe it when I got back in the house, to discover it was 10pm!!!  Seems to take so much longer when its bad weather.

Just had my tea, and now have to sort and pack the eggs for putting by the gate in the morning.  I have been so tired the last few mornings and found it hard to get up, must be feeling the missing hour.

bamford6

Re: Horrible weather
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:18:11 pm »
youv got to be good at youre job out till ten at night . i was fed up with the wether over a foot off snow yesterday boiled up the eggs that shoud off been sold made porridge and fed it to the birds made me feal better

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:25:25 pm »
I have just found out that our lane is to be closed for the council to do some work - closed 7am-7pm for 10 days starting next week.  My first thought was that it will affect my egg sales ......my customers will not be able to drive over to pick up their eggs, and as they help themselves,  I have no idea who they are or where they live........so it looks like I will have an egg mountain for 10 days.

Typical, they did not do the road work a few weeks back when the hens were not laying, and it would not matter!!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 08:42:15 am »
Hello Roxy and Hello Gary I have just sent a post to Juliag about the weather and to top it up The sun has come out and its nice sunny but its only 5c in temperature here in Grimsby.I know a lot of people were enthralled by Kate Humble Lambing which I was not impressed by at all If you can borrow from the library Jack Hargreaves Out of Town An English Country Diary Disk 4 Starts with Lambing a 1500 ewe flock as it happens in real life not done for TV I assure you you will learn more from this disk than you ever did with Kate.This of course is what I see if I call on Godfrey,Warwick or Tim real time lambing they haven't a swarm of helpers.If he is lucky Godfrey gets a learner student vet from the Agricultural College.Godfrey has the use of a large building on the Estate where he can put the lambing pens and a large Dutch Barn where he can turn the lambs and ewes into before putting them out into the field
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:46:36 am »
Its been nice and dry (but cold) here the last two days. Such a contrast to the terrible gales and snow Mon to Wed. Just seems so bizarre.

Beth

sandy

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 10:44:29 am »
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, wet and cold and dull and cold...where has that sun gone???

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 02:03:38 pm »
Its down herein Grimsby Sandy but there is little heat in it its 10c just now :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

chickenfeed

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 03:00:50 pm »
 :)its warm & sunny here got loads done outside today, at last it feels like spring ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS