Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Its time to start breeding  (Read 2200 times)

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Its time to start breeding
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:29:53 pm »
Im buying a young boar (£150 a little expensive one thinks) to service my females then sending him on his merry way. i was just wondering if anyone has any tips on introducing him to my sows.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Its time to start breeding
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:25:42 am »
If possible introduce him through a fence.  Again if possible I suggest one sow at a time to give you some space between litters.  (Our boar introduced himself to a group of sows and gilts, and we now have 2 litters born last Saturday and 2 more expected in the next few days - fortunately the weather is improving). 

Have fun, new piglets are a lovely sight.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:37:25 am »
Relic
You don't say what breed you paid £150 for a boar, which i think if its pedigree iis dirt cheap.
Bet you'd pay £400 for a pedigree puppy dog!! So why not more for an animal who's going to give you a litter woth a possible £400/litter!!! ::)
And what do you mean by send him on his way? kill or sell on?
As Hilary's mum says introduce the girls one at a time or you'll get piglets all at once, this way you can stagger the farrowings, he always has company and your girls get one to one attention and will give you a better idea of when your litters due.
HTH
Mandy :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:43:20 am »
You're right Mandy.....I agree £150 is very cheap for a pedigree boar.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 05:28:19 pm »
If its a pedigree boar your getting yourselve a bargain as they can be quite alot if proven even so if he's a cross at £150 its not out of the way.
Good luck breeding your own pigs is one hell of a time according to my other half I get more anxious about the sows labours than hers!!!!!!!
(she's probably right)
Gary

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 09:12:16 pm »
cheers guys sorry i was a bit vague. my plan was to AI my tams but on consideration ive decided to go with a large white boar (£150) as i came across a pig farmer just down the road from me who has them and is willing to sell me a young male. my new plan is to introduce them and let nature take her course then send him off to be slaughtered and eaten.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS