Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking about getting Goats.  (Read 4168 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Thinking about getting Goats.
« on: October 03, 2015, 09:07:13 am »
I was thinking about getting some goats to control the thistles. I would also be interested in a rare breed as I understand as there are some breeds with very low numbers. What breed would be best for me? I live near Peebles.
What do I need to know about keeping goats, I have Hebridean sheep and have been told they are relatively similar except the goats need shelter which i can easily do.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: Thinking about getting Goats.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 11:30:41 am »
We have hebs and goats and they all get on fine, yes goats need shelter and yes the hebs will probably use the shelter. Our goats don't eat thistles unfortunately. Actually contrary to popular myth goats are bloody fussy eaters.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 11:36:09 am »
A strimmer will do the job quicker, cheaper and more efficiently...

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 11:51:34 am »
A strimmer would do it quicker but we don't have one and I have always wanted goats. What breeds would you guys recommend? The thistles was just a very good bonus but can live without it.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 12:02:14 pm »
Bagot goats are very rare nowadays are good for conservation grazing and  MAY help out with young thistles.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 12:10:51 pm »
I have heard about baggot goats but don't know anybody who has them.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 12:21:17 pm »
I will pm you

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 12:32:09 pm »
emailed you

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 12:38:19 pm »
Do you want milk, fleece, meat or just something to eat the weeds.

My goats - dairy and angoras eat thistles but only after they've eaten the nettles, hedges and grass.
They like the flower heads if they can get them before they grow too tall.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 12:46:42 pm »
eat the weeds, maybe a bit of milk or meat but also to help a rare breed and weeds

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 03:26:11 pm »
If you go down the milk route it is a daily commitment. You need them to kid to get the milk etc etc....

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 11:25:40 pm »
I am kicking my self for not thinking about this a month or two ago, Palacerigg  country park had a number of Bagots in the lanrk rare breed sale on the 29th of September and I was there buying hebs. I Will have to wait until next year but that gives me time to prepare for them. Had anybody found that they need high fences with bagot goats, do they escape?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 01:56:23 am »
I keep Toggenburgs and mine LOVE thistles.
they fascinate me how they can put their mouth over a thistle head and eat it :-)
I think last year only about 30 female kids were registered, can have lovely long almost blonde hair.
they have been put on the UK native breeds at risk in 2014 (there was an explanation why they were on the 'native' breeds but I can't remember why)
Apart from the occasional check I only milk mine when I've taken the kids off, though I could have milked once a day. They are slowly drying off now. very affectionate when handled frequently.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2015, 05:49:45 pm »
Golden Guernseys are lovely goats to keep, very docile and mine love nothing better than a field of thistles and can be found in next doors field quite often  ::)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS