Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raised beds.. Any tips?  (Read 20446 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Raised beds.. Any tips?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 04:26:01 pm »
thats brilliant not sur ewhat is happening with the pictures after i look at you site they are showing
strange

but it's a good way to recycle and maintain a structure cos unless they are easy to brake (i have no idea) then they wont be broken down with the weather etc like wood can

:)

JustinFun

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Gillingham, Kent
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 08:37:53 am »
it's a good way to recycle and maintain a structure cos unless they are easy to brake (i have no idea) then they wont be broken down with the weather etc like wood can

:)

That's the idea anyway! Haven't had any breakages yet (and wine bottles are fairly sturdy - they've had a few clunks with the garden fork), but because they're just sunk into the soil, rather than concreted in, you can just lift out the broken bottle and replace it.

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 04:16:58 pm »
my  god - i thought i got through a few bottles  :o - looks good though
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

katelock

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 09:59:29 pm »
i have raised beds as i have a small patch in an old quarry - we have very little top soil, so they are essential. HOwever, they have been REALLY wet these two years (not great years to start). i wonder if any one else feels that raised beds have retaned moisture more than normal beds. K

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 10:11:17 pm »
have you tried a mixture of grit and sand mixed in to the compost ?

Linz

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 05:37:59 pm »
We've just finished planning where our raised beds and other veggie plots are going - over 20 of them (8' x 4') beside our 80' polytunnel (planning department approval pending  :-X) We've had some great ideas from 'GardenGirlTV' and are intending on making half a dozen 'chicken tractors' to move between around the beds. Her raised bed set up is pretty impressive. Have a look here http://www.gardengirltv.com/projects_with_wood_refinishing_furniture_shed_chicken_tractor.html#raised there are some great videos too....I nearly spend as much time there as I do here  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS