Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aren't animals great  (Read 2695 times)

Nickie

• Joined May 2009
  • Gwynedd
Aren't animals great
« on: April 13, 2010, 12:05:33 pm »
You're running along quite smoothly for a few days & then BAM. They have the knack of bringing you back down to earth don't they.

It's probably my own fault, I did too much yesterday. I'm recovering from some hospital treatment I had last week, but was feeling really good & wanted to take advantage of the lovely sunshine. I had a good clear out & tidy up of the yard, gave the stables a spring clean & took the dog for a lovely walk. Feeling a bit tired I went to start doing the afternoon animal chores, just feeding & checking them over really, only to find that the 2 new weaners have burnt in the sun, one of last year's ewe lambs is off her feed & looking sorry for herself, the ewes still aren't showing any signs that they are ever going to drop their lambs, one of the chickens is scouring yellow poop & is very cross with all the other chickens & one of the horses has had a nasty reaction to a tick that burrowed in during the day, badly swollen & bleeding so much at first I thought he had a puncture wound.

So this morning I have tried putting sun tan lotion on the piglets, only to have one wriggle away so much that I got more on myself that I did him & the other tried to bite me. I have bathed both horses in horrible smelling lotion to stop the ticks, only for them both to roll straight away trying to rub off as much as possible. I can't catch the ewe lamb, so I guess she isn't too poorly, still no new lambs & now the dog's jealous because I'm spending too much time with the other animals.

Why did I start this small holding lark?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Aren't animals great
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:26:13 pm »
So you could give us a laugh ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, but you DO tell a good story!

Keep at it, I'm sure you'll start to enjoy it soon. ;)

I just have ducks and chickens and an increasingly agressive cockerel who is going to get a good talking to soon.  My hens have all started to chase my dogs,  I think Jamie has been teaching them - now THAT's a turn up fro teh book!  Role reversal is good I think!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:35:34 pm »
Keeping animals is alway hard work but well worth it when you get to see how happy they are. If you look after them they reward you in return so keep smiling.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:39:56 pm »
but I'll bet you wouldnt have it any other way!  i know we wouldnt and after 3 years of living this way, i cant ever imagine going back to life without them all.  as james says, they bring so much pleasure...even when the snow is 2 feet high, all the pipes are frozen and you think you'll never be warm again!

what's that song "it's a great life"......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS