Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Galvanised Trough  (Read 4488 times)

welsh_cob

• Joined Oct 2013
Galvanised Trough
« on: October 04, 2015, 09:26:17 pm »
Got a galvanised water tank, going to use it to fill water troughs or as a large water trough.

However, it's a little rusted inside on the base, with a power wash and poss wire brushing would that suffice to make it 'clean' to use as storage/transport for animals water? Or does it need coating with something.

Thanks.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Galvanised Trough
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:57:45 am »
What I used to find with galvanised domestic tanks was that what appeared solid was just the zinc coating, the steel behind having rusted away completely. We were told during my plumbing training that if any rust at all was evident the first thing to do was avoid touching it in case it just fractured and flooded the house. My advice would be to scrap the tank Welshcob. You will find that plastic ones available from plumbing suppliers are very cheap.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:22:18 pm »
(bit of a) Rusty trough is fine - or all my animals would be dead - and me cos my header tank is rusty too.

Its Bacteria, micro organisms and pollutions that kill - rust wont do you harm - unless you tried to eat it.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 10:14:41 pm »
Whilst many farmers still use rusty galvanised drinking equipment and containers  the rust is not too help full to the stock or humans because of chances of ferric chloride developing if the water has been standing in the tank for a while .
 The bacteria angle as has also been said applies .

When I was in HMF as a senior rank doing equipment inspections any water bowser or water container that was found to have the slightest hint of rust was  immediately condemned to scrap by me under the HMF's health regulations and a new plastic /rubber one ordered .

The iron in the steel body reacts with the chlorine in the water and forms a weak ferrous chloride which ain't any good for your kidneys..

Here's the Wikki  bit about it .

Iron(III) chloride is toxic, highly corrosive and acidic. The anhydrous material is a powerful dehydrating agent.

Although reports of poisoning in humans are rare, ingestion of ferric chloride can result in serious morbidity and mortality. Inappropriate labeling and storage lead to accidental swallowing or misdiagnosis. Early diagnosis is important, especially in seriously poisoned patients.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 09:52:18 am »
I buy all those black plastic drinking baths, they may be 200£ each but better than a cheaper alternative, also they last longer and are easy to clean. The ones am talking about are the ones with the ballcock hidden in a plastic casing in the middle of the bath, it has two plastic drinking quarters. Its very good because it means the buffalo can't mess around with the bath.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS