Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Magic goat poo  (Read 2272 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Magic goat poo
« on: September 29, 2015, 08:59:00 pm »
It must be the magic goat poo - well it's the only way to explain my monster tatties  ;D  I dug up one plant today and they haven't even died back yet. As well as 10 "normal sized" bakers (I managed 3/4 of one for my dinner) I also got these 3 - 783g, 800g and 881g

Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Magic goat poo
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 09:34:18 pm »
Nice spuds !

I had a few whoppers where I had thrown a spud at the compost heap and it had grown down the side. These in the photo were from just one plant.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 10:31:56 pm »
You now know the secret to successfully growing big spuds ..
Dung from goats or rabbits .
If you turn it into liquid manure , adding some sugar to bring onnthe yeasts as well and soak a block of bales of straw with it.
Once the rot starts in the straw ,  plant your couple of spuds in it & keep up the liquid manuring regime but at a slightly weaker rate, adding more treated damp straw as the crop tips emerge , so there is just a few inches of tops on show at any time .

You'll like as not end up with around 1,000 kg of spuds per growing station just like the champion record breaking growers do .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 11:58:39 pm »
I had a good few kilos of spuds from one of my raised beds this year. The beds were originally filled with half rotted goat manure and a small quantity of kitchen waste compost. I didn't even plant the spuds but they have grown for the last three years. Must have been a rogue bit of peel in the kitchen waste.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 02:21:31 pm »
Ooh, I am hoping that I will have that magic next year, veg patch was a bit poor this year.
________
Caroline

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 07:35:23 pm »
I had a good few kilos of spuds from one of my raised beds this year. The beds were originally filled with half rotted goat manure and a small quantity of kitchen waste compost. I didn't even plant the spuds but they have grown for the last three years. Must have been a rogue bit of peel in the kitchen waste.

You only need a bit of peel with an eye that is just breaking surface for the peel to turn into a potato so lng as it does not rot.

Some of you folk might be interested in making potato slips .

Cut a 1/4 2 thick half inch across slice of potato with a 2 " long chit  growing out of the middle . Stand it in a glass that has 3/4 " or so of water in it, change th water every other day  " the slip will make roots in a week or so . plant the slip direct into a well prepared bed. you can usually have four or five slips per glass of water .

Making potato plants this way allows you to grow most supermarket potatoes that you find good to eat. Obviously it has to be done at the last frost date here in the UK.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS