Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planning round my lake (carp fishery)  (Read 2231 times)

marcswan

• Joined Oct 2015
Planning round my lake (carp fishery)
« on: October 01, 2015, 07:30:10 pm »
Hi out there just a quick introduction, im just in the process of buying a small carp fishery in north yorkshire it sits in about 3 acres of land the lake being about half of it. At the moment it is purely fished by a very small syndicate which doesn't generate enough money to cover even maintenance. My plan was to regenerate the site get some camping pods on there and start a fish breeding program and hopefully see if I could get a house on there too. that was cut short as soon as talking to the planners!, anyway I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what it may be possible for me to put on there as accommodation of some nature. My reasons to the planners are as such If im breeding fish I need to be on site 24 hours to look after them correctly and make sure nothing goes wrong 2. fishermen fish the site 24hrs so I need to be there 24hrs for health and safety surely? I would also like some small camping pods for the fishermen so again a 24 hr warden is required.
I have a wife and 3 kids and dont really want to have a house round the corner for them a small caravan for me so  a small static, even tempory to see if the business is viable would do.
Any help would be greatly appreciated before I speak to the planners again next week! thankyou

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: Planning round my lake (carp fishery)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 04:58:16 pm »
Take a read here click on the decision / outcome link on this page
https://acp.planningportal.gov.uk/ViewCase.aspx?CaseID=2179575&CoID=0

You can see what you will be up against.

Read one where the planning inspector said securicty fencing and cctv cameras would solve security angle.

Makes you wonder what planet they live on i have had fences and hedges cut down

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 08:59:16 pm »
Marc ,
Getting your thinking cap on  ahead of the wave and thinking of problems and the answers is the way round  things most times .
I've often found that with your planning applications , if you can list twenty or so problems and item by item give the correct beneficial answer you're  a long way to getting your permission.

I use Edward De BONO's , " Six hat method of thinking " to develop myself in to looking at life & events etc .  from six different angles .. It's a brilliant way of exploring & developing projects and life in general .

I'd see if the county & adjacent counties has any similar applications and applications for temporary occupied cabins etc. in the countryside sort of thing , over the last seven or eight years and see how they went.
(Most now run this data on their websites )

For anything that were the causes for objections or refusals  find at least two model answers you will do to prevent them happening and state them in your application.

Knowing how green some of the planners are, I suggest it would also be a sensible thing ,  to do an access and all types of waste management planning part for the application  . I also included a nominated veterinary over watch & regular health visits to our small mammal farm .

I also added a fair bit about energy conservation and energy needs

Traffic , vehicular access , visibility splays and all different types of noise were also things I develop  and gave model applicable answers for
 You could do a whole health and safety section paragraph by paragraph with all the right answers . 
In fact I 'd say do everything positive and never state the negatives ,doing the positives and and including your considerations for them  and the answers  to the considerations shows that your not just somebody hoping to build a house by the lake causing an intrusion into the open countryside .  :roflanim:

Finding financial positives for the local area is also helpful , especially if you state that you hope to expand and take on employee's. Perhaps even to the level of running recognized training courses.

I'd also start looking at & talking with as many Councillors as youn can who sit on planning committees and ask them what sort of thing helps in getting permission . ( :idea:
 I'd also never ask any of them what causes them to fail nor would I get into arguments :huff: with them .)

Before we did any of this stuff both my lass & I went on an EU funded small business development course where we learnt how basic outline plan , how to gain planning consent ,   construct the business , set up the office , tax & VAT and forecast financially .
To plan for the development of the business for  several years ahead with a reasonable logical sense , hope & accuracy ahead .
Getting every thing from the course down on paper ( 37 sheets if I remember correctly)  and having it looked at by a team of financial experts seconded tot he programme saw us get pound for pound matched funding from the EU under the economic development plan ( At the time this was called Option 5 B ) in high unemployment areas .

We also sought and got a lot of written & verbal support from  businesses owners and farmers in local the area once we'd talked them through our plans and application

Three or so copies of the the whole business plan were also attached to the planning application . By the time it was submitted we'd come to  know many of the planers and Councillors in a friendly helpful way .

To get to this stage we sought help from the local business enterprise trust ( BET ) and our local banks business section bank manager .

We gave our lady  bank manager a simple positive overview of what we hoped to do and also gave a simple forecast of how we'd earn the money then asked her for help & advice in developing it .
 Our bank manager knew exactly where to send us for this course and for that we are very grateful it must have saved us thousands & thousands of lost hours , dead ends and even more thousands of pounds of money .
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:25:30 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

marcswan

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 11:07:36 am »
Thanks for the help, im speaking to planner hopefully in the next few days, ill take on board what you say! positivity! ill let you know what the conversation goes like.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS