Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wev just had over a foot off snow with lambing 4 days away  (Read 3140 times)

bamford6

wev just had over a foot off snow with lambing 4 days away
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:12:25 am »
not looking good still the snow comes no think will move for a time need to do something but dont no whot the hens will have to be dug out as well .  very little food left skint after a 4 month winter . the gas went yesterday .no way can i get that till wensday . no bread milk iv also lost lots off eggs due to the high humidity so not a lot off chicks for easter . very big problem with no money im £1400 over that has to be paid back at the next sale may 1st

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
Re: wev just had over a foot off snow with lambing 4 days away
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:44:51 am »
bamfords is this your first winter as a smallholder?

Have you got any friends you can call on for help? You need food for the animals as well as yourself.

bamford6

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:04:42 pm »
wev been bying in round bales since the 14 th december we had a full barn .we use the big gas to keep the ducks poultrey warm and laying its just been to long a winter for us all .i took over a small farm that went dawn. 5 yeres rent 200 sheep 30 pens rare breeds ducks geese about 150 a week feed and vets bills . hatching at the moment not doin to well ...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:12:48 pm »
Sorry things are not going well for you.  Do hope the weather improves, and you manage to get results from your hatching, to help your finances.
I think its been a hard winter for everyone with their livestock.  Feed and fodder bills are horendous aren't they?  We thought Spring was here, but here we are with blizzards and snow again.  We are out of big bales, so managed to get a big hay bale to be collected at weekend to help us along a bit.

bamford6

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:08:46 am »
roxey we pay £25 for 1 and it lasts a day .we sell at the first sale in march but this yere we had no sheep chicks hens nothink to sell .the next 1 is march the 1st and we havent got nothink naw wev usualey got chicks hens and some lambs

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:11:58 am »
Looks like you may have to sell some stock before the optimum time to get some cash in.

Later you can always restock.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 12:11:47 pm »
I have just paid £25 for a large bale too, but having run out, like it or not, and I did think it was expensive, we had to have it.

Is there no one nearby that could help you out with big bales, and you could pay them back when you can?  Round here, we do try and help each other if need be, either with animal feed, or indeed giving each other a lift with work if need be.  Had you been near us, I can assure you we would try and help if we could.  Sometimes, the big bales of haylage are a bit iffy to feed to my goats and ponies, and I have offered them to the farmer nearby for his stock, same with bales of hay off the barn floor  that are a bit black on one side.  He is always grateful, and says mixed in with his fodder, the animals eat it.  No money exchanges hands, but I know I can call on him and his tractor etc. or indeed just him, if we need help.

We are all struggling financially, and the wintry weather we have returned to does not help, but if we can hang on there for another couple of weeks hopefully the weather will improve, and animals will find some grass.

Maybe considering selling off some stock to see you through this rough time, is the best option.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 03:49:58 pm »
Thats a big selection of birds you have there, and with the sheep too, there must be some work involved.

I have 80 free range hens, and also quite a lot of free range bantams, and feel like I am forever working with them, trying to keep the coops clean - impossible with all the mud at the moment. And they are eating me out of house and home, what with the snowy weather, and the fact they are all in lay!!!  And my other livestock are always calling for feeding .......this winter has seemed way too long, hasn't it?

bamford6

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 11:12:36 pm »
yes its 11 o clock at night just finished for the day .just candeld the top incubater out off 40 6 are ok thats so il do the other iiicubater out off 50 3 are ok so thats 10 out off 90 eggs 30 off them chocklate orpingtons iff i sold them on e bay i would off got £130 ..so back to the drawing board .whot went wrong firstley the eggs are pullits thats not good to start next fertilatey is not 50 percent .and humidatey is still 93 percent out side .so thats 3 goes at incubating this yere and 1 foot off snow ............will start from the 1st off april see next friday

littlelisa

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 08:56:22 am »
where are you incubators?? can you not buy a small de humidifier??

bamford6

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 10:59:30 pm »
I HAVE A 400 EGG IN THE OFFICE .I HAVE A NOTHER IN THE SITTING ROOM AND 1 IN THE BACK ROOM . THE HEATING IN THE HOUSE  DOORS OPEN WETHER NOT GOOD AT THE MOMENT .TRIYING TO GET STOCK FOR THE NEXT SALE

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 11:03:39 pm »
I hope your success rate with your hatchings is better next attempt.  Chocolate Orpingtons are making big money at the sales I have been to, so fingers crossed you get a few of those to sell.

bamford6

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 11:36:54 am »
i bought 2 split chocklate cocks from rob boyd .i had some very good stock from e bay last yere 2 pens off six hens 2 off them are chocklate iv had 4 eggs a day off each pen iv got 2 chocklate chicks naw iff the wether had got better i would off had more .the problem was the woman up the road she said in November have more sort after breeds   pens 1 chocklate pen 1 silver lace pen 1 gold lace pen  thats 3 pens that will make more than 8 off the other pens feed still the same ...and i thought and yes she is right .. bought eggs 8 lots off gold and silver or orpingtons  cost £120 i think i have 8 at the moment . i should off gone for light sussex road island red black rock 5 weeks old 4 pound each at the gate . i should off also made some copper tops light sussex /silki lay 30 eggs broodey 4 times a yere £10 £15 with chicks iv naw got all off the above .iv also love my silkis blue from the 3 off the  best studs gold and black red . all off the best stock . i  will be selling  later on as i have new stock coming through. i would also like all off the wyndots coulers .next project 20 foot by 16 fort shed eggs for the shops lots off eggs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS