Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bottle lambs and paperwork!  (Read 6539 times)

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
bottle lambs and paperwork!
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:48:03 pm »
I am in need of some urgent help!

I took on 4 bottle lambs in Feb, all are doing great! However, the 3 separate farms i got them from would not fill out a movement licence for the lambs. I thought nothing of it, and thought I would sort paperwork out when my flock lambed in April, however ------ I have an Animal Health inspection tomorrow and i have no licences for these lambs. Does anyone know how i can sort out the paperwork legally???

Very grateful for any suggestions.

Re: bottle lambs and paperwork!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:57:21 pm »
OK,

are they tagged?

You should never move animals without a movement licence, or without the animals being identified (Tags / Ear notch / paint mark etc).

Looks like you will have to take it on the chin if they decide to go through your movement book - if its a first time it will probably only result in a slapped wrist and a letter - but may leave you with more frequent inspections in the future.

Sorry I cant be of more help - but you can't put it right before tomorrow.

Good Luck

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:09:15 pm »
I have tags for them here with my own flock number. However friend had an inspection a couple of weeks ago and was told not to tag the lambs yet with EIDs because our market might not be buying the equipment????

I would never normally move an animal without a licence - and dont know why i did this time! All the lambs were in a very poor state when i got them, so my main concern was to get them under a lamp not argue with the bloke about filling in a movement licence.

Looks like I will be getting a slapped wrist tomorrow!

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:01:28 pm »
Hi again,

They need tagging with the Holding of Birth Tags.

If you don't EID Tag them, then the MUST be slaughtered by 12 months of age, if they are given a non-eid tag (which can't be yellow anymore) then they can't be upgraded to eid tags later on.

I had this discussion with Defra a few days ago over cade lambs. Which is daft really cos Eid lamb tags are not available for a few weeks yet and the button tags are too big for them.

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:57:55 pm »
I did not know they were doing lamb EIDs? I have got button tags, as they tend not to loose them. The girls will be double EID tagged and the boys will be slaughter tagged.

I have the problem sorted now - I hope! I will report back tomorrow if I am not carted away somewhere!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:01:42 pm »
I think its the case that orphan lambs and goat kids can be moved if it's to a new home in order to rear due to being orphaned without a movement form. Let me have a google.... Would assume Defra is the same.

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:10:21 pm »
That was the case a few years ago, but now they have to have a movement form and be tagged to travel. So basically I have failed on all points.

I would be interested to know if anything does pop up on your search tho?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:12:02 pm »
Hrrmmmm, I can't find anything saying that Defra have the same exemption. Here's the link to the Scottish government exemptions- it says lambs and kids under 7 days old are exempt from a standstill on holding of departure- but doesn't specify if a movement form is needed. Maybe not much help after all!

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/animal-welfare/Diseases/GenControls/MovementRestrictions/ExemptHTML

Beth

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 08:43:21 am »
I did not know they were doing lamb EIDs? I have got button tags, as they tend not to loose them. The girls will be double EID tagged and the boys will be slaughter tagged.

The Tags still need to be from the holding of Birth !

Yes, We will be doing the Qwik Lamb eid tag when the equipment is set up in a couple of weeks.

No need to double eid tag - you can have one eid and a visual identification tag if you like.

Thanks

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 07:40:00 pm »
Curious as to how the inspection went ?...........

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 09:28:38 am »
The inspection was fine. The two boys were left in the garden and the 2 older lambs went on holiday for the afternoon. The boys were from a dry ewe that I had and had sold last week, as per paperwork said.
The older 2 will be from a ewe that i did not put in lamb this year, so paperwork will tie up in the end.
All in all, he was a really nice chap - very helpful with the tagging and everything. Was also very pleased with the set up here with small paddocks and rotating livestock to keep worm burden down.
In short, i have learnt my lesson, and will make sure that any bottle lambs next year have paperwork, or I will not take them in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS