Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Training services - any demand?  (Read 3733 times)

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
Training services - any demand?
« on: June 13, 2010, 09:51:17 pm »
Hi there,

I am looking for some feedback. I am a farmer (only 50 acres  :-[) in Shropshire. I used to run quite a large farm contracting business alongside my small farm before deciding to leave the rat race a few years ago. I now produce hay and haylage off my 50 acres, mainly for the horse market, and continue a small contracting operation doing what I can on my own - ploughing, hedgetrimming, hedgelaying, fencing, haymaking, etc. I also spent some time as a trainer - teaching tractor driving, forklift and telehandler operators

Though I say it myself, I am pretty good at what I do and my desire to do a job well lead me to start entering ploughing matches about 6 years ago. To cut a long story short - I am the current British reversible ploughing champion and have just returned from the World Championships in New Zealand. I have previously represented England in the European Championships in Denmark and Czech Republic. I am not telling you that to be big-headed, only so that you know my credentials.

To cut to the chase - I have long thought that there must be a demand for someone to teach people (especially smallholders?) how to plough and possibly fence and hedgelay - all skills which are quickly disappearing. So, is there a demand for such a service? Or am I just fooling myself and no-one really wants to learn these skills?

I look forward to your replies,

regards

old ploughman

cairnhill

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Training services - any demand?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 10:16:38 pm »
wish you were in Scotland!  Im sure there would be a demand.  Good luck  :D

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:32:07 pm »
If there was a service like that in Scotland I too would use it!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 11:07:58 pm »
Fencing - me too, in Scotland, but not ploughing on my wee patch, or hedgelaying.  Perhaps pruning skills too maybe?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:41:21 pm »
Crumbs, sounds like i need to move North of the border!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 07:43:41 am »
We would be interested in stuff - we're in Scotland but might travel OR you could come to us and run a course or two.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 08:09:47 am »
I would be interested in learning hedgelaying and fencing out of interest. Love things like that.

Not much need for ploughing in a Birmingham garden  ;D
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 01:30:30 pm »
Hi,
We're in Powys, definitely interested in ploughing plus general grassland management - only have 14 acres though (and very new to it so no real idea what we're doing yet!). Already know how to do the fencing and hedgelaying as used to volunteer for Wildlife Trusts, but definitely think there would be a demand for this as well.
Susie

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 02:05:45 pm »
I am sure there is a demand if you are ever in Australia, your services with my husband and I would be appreciated.  My husband has learnt how to build fences through a local gentleman hire to build our fences, he is a lovely man and quite willing to help my husband out on the fence building side now we need to learn about hay making.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS