Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My poor chooks :(  (Read 2788 times)

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
My poor chooks :(
« on: March 25, 2010, 04:55:18 pm »
My eggbound hen died a few days ago, and I can't believe how upset I was. We buried her at the bottom of the garden, and then today, a dog belonging to a neighbour managed to get into our property and killed one, and injured another. I found out who it belonged to and marched straight to her house, and she was really apologetic and offered to compensate, so I can't even be angry at her. The one that's been hurt lost all her tail feathers and is a bit shell-shocked - I'm not sure if she'll survive. I won't be happy at all if I have to bury three chickens this week :(  :'(

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: My poor chooks :(
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 05:02:56 pm »
Sorry to hear of your loss, fingers crossed you have a full recovery. Did your neighbour explain how on gods name the dog was loose in the first place?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 05:03:19 pm »
They are remarkably resilient though.  A number of mine have been retrieved - I have been known to forget to shut the gates :-[ :-[ :-[  They take to their beds for a day or so then out they come with the rest of them.  My oldest duck had a few feathers removed by Freckles today - from the end of the flexi by a dog on three legs!!! ::) ::) ::)(Freckles is awaiting an operation for cruciate ligament damage and is on cage rest and short necessary outings to the garden, but it doesn't seem to stop her lunging forward at great speed when a duck is within range ;D ;D)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sagehen

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 05:47:11 pm »
Thanks James. She was walking the dog off lead in the next field, and she said before she knew it, the dog had gone into ours and had attacked the chickens. She was really apologetic but that dog has been known to attack pheasants before. She said she didn't realise that our chickens were free ranging, or she wouldn't have let the dog off it's lead in the first place.

Annie, I hope that's the case with this one, that she's resilient enough to survive it. When I found her, she had wedged herself into a plastic pipe to escape the dog, with her injured bottom sticking out, and I had to gently prise her out it, poor thing.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 06:32:58 pm »
I have a hen, we call her 9 lives!  when we first got our greyhound she caught her, held her down and plucked her with her paw! she survived, since then my other dog has caught her twice almost killing her, she is bald around her neck, its never grown back she looks like a burn victim, but she is a very happy hen, very broody and an excellent mother, as for the dogs, the hound ignores them now and the other 2 are learning to behave, and the chickens keep being told STAY in your bloomin paddock!!!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:34:59 pm »
Oh I really symapathise with you Sagehen and fingers crossed that she pulls through.  As the others have said chickens are amazingly resilient so there's every chance she'll be OK.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:46:44 pm »
Really sorry to hear this sagehen. We have folks continually walking dogs off leads in the field next to us despite the farmers sign clearly saying not to. Folk just don't seem to take any notice at all. We therefore have to have the hens in a large enclosure or lose them.

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 08:33:50 pm »
Oh Sagehen - I am so sorry to hear about your losses this week.  I, too, have lost two hens in the last year to my neighbours' dogs and have had to stop my hens freeranging in my rural garden.  It was very distressing both times.  I still have issues about one of the dogs, a husky, who has been back to my garden on several occassions despite the owner assuring me it's never off the lead!  :(

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 07:48:25 pm »
poor hens  : (
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS