Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rearing Turkeys on a smallholding  (Read 8568 times)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: Rearing Turkeys on a smallholding
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 02:53:07 pm »
ShetlandPaul was this whilst you were doing the gutting of the bird? coz i may even get my local butcher to undertake that part, or perhaps ask my old country dad to show me how its done

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 04:19:55 pm »
Its easy, my dad does ours just puts his hand in and pulls it all out! :o

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 05:18:03 pm »
I love the idea of rustic, but that may be a step too far. mind you had a flashback of being a kid and can always remember asking dad what happened to the chicken he was plucking in the kitchen and he always told me 'it fell over nad hit is head on the axe' took me years to realise that the axe probably fell on the chickens head, and probably at about 50mph :-*

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 05:31:46 pm »
This is great I was thinking of rearing turkeys and have now picked up alot of info.........thanks all

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 07:52:36 pm »

If you are going to get your butcher to clean and pluck your turkeys book him early , mine was to busy so we had a plucking party where everone who was having one came along and plucked their own bird. I did get a friend who is a cook to do the cleaning in return for a turkey.
Anne

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 08:05:08 pm »
you just need to get used to the smell. once you have done a couple you get used to it. its easy to do. just make sure that they are starved trying to get the crop out when full is a real pain. also make sure you tie off the guts and loosen the liver and then most of it will come out easily. then you need to workout what to do with a bin bag of guts and feathers. i still cant do the tendons.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:07:57 pm by shetlandpaul »

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 09:51:24 pm »
My Dad did them outside so the smell wasnt too bad! He doesnt tie off the guts though? literally puts his hand in and brings it all out! we just get a bonfire going and out the feathers/ guts etc on! He doesnt do the tendons either!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS