Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lambs lost yellow electronic tags and going to slaughter  (Read 3222 times)

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
lambs lost yellow electronic tags and going to slaughter
« on: September 13, 2015, 08:58:23 am »
I have double tagged all my lambs as a lot of thefts locally so wanted to do as much as possible to help prevent this (seemed to be non-tagged/marked ones getting nicked). I am taking some into slaughter but 3 of the little monkeys have pulled out their yellow tags - typical  >:( >:( >:( My question is - do I have to now replace with red tags or can I just use a new usual set. I see on DEFRA that since Jan 2015 all slaughter lambs must have an electronic tag in. Thanks :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: lambs lost yellow electronic tags and going to slaughter
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 10:50:09 am »
I just cut out the leftover tag and replace with a new set - noting it in the holding record book.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:46:09 am »
You can just order a "replica" tag if you know the number

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 11:57:19 am »
It depends I would say on whether you have registered sheep, or they were always intended for slaughter.  If the latter, your numbers will not relate to an identifiable sheep, so you can simply put in another set of your usual tags.  If you want to record in your flock book that that tag has been lost/destroyed then do that, but you don't need to notify anyone, or use red tags.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 12:33:03 pm »
While either of the ways mentioned is ok , probably best not to put in new tags until they are  ready to go .    OH and even if you put in  a replica tag you need to record it in the holding register

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 09:07:09 am »
If they were born on your holding just replace the yellow tag with another, if they weren't and you bought them in then you need to replace with red tags I think?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 10:48:16 am »
..... and this, my fellow bureaucracy-sufferers, is why I have three bags of tags and two manufacturer-specific applicators purchased over the last eight years which I am no longer allowed to use because the regulations have changed .....

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 11:27:43 am »
Thanks everyone - I have just ordered some new sets and going to put new ones in and make a note. Thanks :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS