Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I need to face the facts about flushing?  (Read 2236 times)

Crossways

• Joined Jan 2015
Do I need to face the facts about flushing?
« on: September 04, 2015, 06:38:40 am »
Every year I find myself asking the same question.

I haven't put my ewes into the flushing grazing yet and there back ends are already going green! The field they are in has had a good growth.

Must admit I'm slightly worried about putting them on the flushing ground.

Do I just need to face the facts it happens or should I restrict them further

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Do I need to face the facts about flushing?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 07:49:12 am »
There is what is known as the "autumn flush" when grass has another growth spurt.  In well stocked fields you may only notice it as green bums as they eat the growth before you see it.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:41:36 am »
Don't worry about it

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 08:01:05 pm »
It suits our system to have only twins, which happens if I don't flush the ewes.  I just aim to keep them in good condition all year round as we never know when the snow or neavy rain or frost will arrive - any time between early December and late February so far,

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 08:17:33 pm »
Never got to grips with flushing, always had twins or triplets. I too like to keep them in fair condition all year, I find that they keep their teeth and generally last longer. Can't do weight loss either and apart from pre lambing and a couple of weeks after I don't feed but they always look well.  :sunshine:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 12:11:02 am »
We actively don't flush and would prefer no triplets and a lot of singles.  We usually get mostly twins ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS