Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are all heritage turkeys the same?  (Read 1175 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Are all heritage turkeys the same?
« on: September 01, 2015, 08:25:41 am »
I have recently seen and advert for lavender turkeys and just wondered if all heritage breeds are pretty much the same in terms of productivity and temperament.

The stag that fathered my bronze poults apparently had to be held back with a broom whenever his Keeper had to enter the pen so I'm hoping his offspring are more personable.

The lavenders that are for sale look lovely but they are a breeding pair and I wondered if buying an adult male might be more tricky than bringing up a male from a chick in terms of trust and respect.

:thinking:   

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Are all heritage turkeys the same?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:08:33 pm »
I've only ever bred Narragansetts.  Always found them very laid back.  Did a stag swap with another breeder a few days ago as we both wanted to introduce new genetics.  New boy appears a bit puzzled by being quarantined but otherwise perfectly friendly.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Are all heritage turkeys the same?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 08:36:56 am »
Thats reassuring Marches.

Perhaps its how they are raised. I have been doing a fair bit of training with my turkey friends since I moved them too the new coop and they seem to have bonded with me very well. we have practicing leaving the new coop and following me into the wood, then after a while following me back to the new coop for a treat of mealworms.

We have to do a bit of herding now and again but they are very placid, good natured little things who learn quickly with a bit of repitition. Sounds like they should stay that way. :thumbsup:

[/size][size=78%]  [/size]

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS