Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best design/type of barn help please  (Read 3437 times)

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
Best design/type of barn help please
« on: September 07, 2015, 12:10:03 pm »
What type of barn is best for housing square bales of hay? I need to keep costs down as much as possible so tge least foundations/groundwork that needs doing the better. Does it need verticle wood slats that have gaps between each slat  for ventilation? I can't have an open sided structure as it would end up knicked or the kids would be in setting fire to it so I need something secure from oportunists.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Best design/type of barn help please
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 05:28:52 pm »
We store ours in a pole barn.  Good ventilation helps keep the hay fresh.  I recommend leaving a 30cm gap around the edge of the bales so you can bait for rats - just the kind of cosy hotel they prefer for the Winter.  I think you're referring to Yorkshire boarding for the sides?

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 07:50:07 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Yes that's it Yorkshire boarding. Is that what I need for hay? I've heard of hay spontaneously combusting and would like best barn from the outset to avoid this if it's possible.
 Is a soil floor ok? Obviously we will sit the hay on pallets or something so it's not directly on the floor. 

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 10:48:19 pm »
It goes on fire if its made wet rather than due to the barn design

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 07:59:01 am »
Caz ,roughly how many bales of hay are you looking to store ??
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 09:56:41 pm »
I'd say no more than 500. Just wanting to build the most suitable , practical building from the outset.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS