Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Idea for housing  (Read 3359 times)

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
Idea for housing
« on: March 30, 2010, 10:22:54 pm »
I've managed to land myself with a polytunnel frame- enough for 100ft long and the span is 28 ft wide ( it was actually a mushroom house- and has a vertical side wall of about 3feet before it starts t ocurve. At it s highest it is about 11 ft. ) I am looking to split it into 2. I was researching somebody to put the covers on for me and was chating to a guy who suggested that I put the usual plastic on one of them for the veggies and the like.

The other he suggested that I could put the green mesh windbreaker material to a height of about 4 ft, then plastic over the rest as normal. Then he suggested that I could buy the galvanised mesh sheets (they come in 16ft x 8 ft sheets) put them to the inside of the frame- inside the windbreaker mesh and overlap the plastic covering on the outside. Then the tunnel could be used for goats/hens/pigs/sheep. They would need stalled out inside but you would have the basic external formed.

Does anybody see any bad points with this. I am struggling to find any faults- there would be ventilation but not a draught. The mesh- 8ft up the sides and curved to the shape of the frame would stop any nibblers. The should llok reasonably tidy from the outside as all you would see is an ordinary polytunnel with the bottom part being green mesh. And my calculations would suggest that this is a cost effective alternative per sq ft than the traditional steel framed shed.

Any comments??

Declan

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Idea for housing
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:42:01 pm »
Sounds a sound enough theory Declan. Couple of things I would make sure I thought about in advance, would be to make sure you have a form of ventilation, and the second is, how likely would it be and what would you do if you had an extreme weather situation and the plastic cover ripped or was damaged?

I think people on here have used polytunnel type shelters for lambing sheep in, so it obviously works.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS